Should I stay with 6mm-06AI?

Just wondering if maybe the hunting bullets are a little stronger. Hmmm.

I know Kirby has commented on his rifles stripping jackets at the 3250 to 3300 mark. I could be wrong. There is a chance that the hunting bullet might be a heavier jacket. Now you have me second guessing myself... thanks!!!:rolleyes: Oh well, you could always try them and see what happens. Could be a caliber thing. I know that the speed you are shooting at is a normal velocity for a 7STW.

Tank

Last edited:
Wow guys, thanks for coming to my rescue on this one! I can't wait to start fire forming now. Looks like the 8 twist Shillen is going to possibly take a couple of weeks longer, pushing me into the middle of Feb. That's ok though, It's already -17 degrees here in South Dakota and I'm most likely not in any hurry. Glad to do it right the first time! Thanks again.

Tom

The 105 A-Max and the 105 Berger would blow up in my 6-284 at around 3250. This was the target Berger so I can't say if the hunting bullet is any different. The 107 SMK will go as fast as you want but it quits working very well on deer at about 700 yards. The 115 Berger didn't shoot very well but it didn't blow up and none of the lighter bullets did either. It got to the point where I needed to quit messing around wasting barrel lie and get a load so I use the 107 SMK. This rifle has always been picky with most bullets except the SMK.

Tom,
My 6-284 is an ABS wrapped Rock barrel with a 1-8 twist. The first few A-maxs shot great and I really thought I had something. They went from 1 out of 3 a flier to all blowing up in about 20 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.