Shotgun Permit in UK for US visitors

Brown Dog

Some of you may be interested/surprised to know that I 'sponsored' the application of a US Army Colleague(on an exchange tour here)for a Visitor's Shotgun Permit, valid for one year and only £12/$20.

From mailing the application to permit 'in hand' took exactly 1 week! He is now licensed to buy and possess shotguns and ammo over here.

His smiling comment was:

"That would've taken longer in New Jersey" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Matt,
i have great admiration for my local firearms licensing department, which is completely staffed by civilians and apart from the enquirey officers are all women.

I have never had any trouble with any calibre or firearm requests for variation, including 50BMG! i even have a section one shot gun and slug ammo.
One for one variations only require my FAC and an accompanying note detailing the calibres and ammo. (I last did this 3 months ago, so i hope it has not changed). None of this unneccessary application form filling.Turnaround is usually a week, and i have actually planned a trip to pick up a new rifle based on this.
Maximum efficiency.

The best turnaround i have heard about was my mate Jones'y.
He wanted to pick up his new Tikka before a trip to Minsterly but needed a 1 for 1, so he took his FAC into his licensing department (Warwickshire)and asked if they could take his old 223 rifle off and put a new authority on. This was Tuesday morning, he got it back Wednesday afternoon, and thats through our very inefficient postal service! Wow!

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Matt, if only all FAC licensing authorities where as efficient and as helpfull as some and the law was applied equaly.
Humberside have been pretty good with me, ive had a visitors FAC every year for about the last 10 years, each time for a full 12 months. I've had em do changes to it to put new rifles on and they've done some at realy short notice. I've a mate who's a hunting agent and they have done them for him before litteraly whilst he waits.
Good hunting with your echange buddy,..
Pete

Something to think about - when the nice F.L. officer comes and ask you if you would like your FAC and Shotgun Certificate to be co-terminus, think about saying no.

Reason being when enough people have said yes...wouldn’t it make life easier to just have everything on one certificate and not have twice the amount of paper work. Of course you can bet your *** they will all be going onto a FAC and not rifles going onto a Shotgun Certificate. The difference... a Shotgun Certificate is a "right" a FAC is a "privilege". You have to show good reason to have a FAC but the police have to show good reason for you not to have a Shotgun Certificate.

Of course I am just a cynical passport burner.

David.

I think the UK should take the German example for firearms licensing legislation.
do a hunters competencey course, pass the exams and you can buy basicaly what you want.
want to punch holes in targets, prove good reason, join a club,. off you go.
i figure David might be right about 1 FAC, but i think that the issue of one for certain catagories would be the same as for the 2 separate certificates now.
i dunno.. when humberside found out i saw dual resident they asked me to apply for a regular FAC rather than a visitors as the would have more over view.. i saw it as an option of if something was out lawed in one country i could [censored] it to the other.. i still haven't put in for a brit FAC though.. seems pointles when ive a valid EU RFD and don't get back stalking as much as i usd to..
pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.