Shotgun Help

jmeier1981

What can I do to improve the accuracy of a slug gun? Ive heard something about pinning the barrel, what exactly does that mean and will it actually help. In a rifled slug barrel would a faster twist rate generally be better than a slower twist? Also is there any difference in accuracy between an automatic and a pump?

The easiest way would be to use quality slugs. They can make a huge difference.

Before I did anything to the shotgun I would try out many different slugs and see which shot the best group. It may be accurate enough without having to modify the gun. Some slugs can get you to around 200 yards now. I haven't heard of any going a whole lot farther than that though.

I'd suggest going slug shopping, unless you have exhausted that avenue already....

Slug Guns

Here are a few tips we have found over the years. Being across the river from Iowa, slug hunters abound. Depending on what type of gun your using this one tip will help alot. Clean your barrel, install it as tight as you can get it. Sight it in, do not remove the barrel at all. Clean the gun from the muzzle end. Next tip, if using a scope, what mounts does it have? If its a side mount that is held in with the trigger pins, pretty much crap. They will get you by for close work. What most of the die hard hunters did was to get a cheap rem 870 or mossberg 500 and make a dedicated slug gun, drill and tap the top of the receiver for standard rifle scope mounts and rings, this will
get rid of the play in the side mount type. After all this is done, then you can start playing with different slug types and brands. We had many customers that could get 2-3" groups at 100yds consistanly.

Dave

Being from a New York shotgun slug only area (have exploited the exceptions with muzzleloading and handguns) I have a bit of experience with getting slug guns to shoot well. BD hits the nail on the head when talking about scope mounts. The problems is when the scope is mounted to the receiver but the barrel is firmly fixed to the receiver, e.g. Rem 11-87. I am also of the opinion that a cantilever mount is not an adequate solution for guns that kick this hard. The Savage 210 bolt action slug gun is a very accurate gun for the money. I could keep Winchester Partition Golds consistently at an inch with that gun. It is a dedicated slug gun with the barrel threaded to the receiver so any scope mounting is identical to a rifle. Another gun that does well in an auto is the Benelli Super Black Eagle. The receiver actually swaps out with a barrel switch as one piece of metal. The rifled slug barrel is tapped for scope mounts so the scope stays right with the barrel. As far as slugs, in addition to the Partition Golds, we have also had good luck getting the Hornady SSTs to shoot well in a number of guns. Good luck!

If you're into a "long range" slug gun, I'd use nothing but the slugs loaded with the 300gr Hornaday SST. There is no shotgun slug that is flatter shooting and it's an accurate bullet.

Second, if you are starting from scratch, get a single shot or, better yet, one of the few bolt action 12-guages made to shoot slugs. Autos and pumps introduce potential for accuracy loss, similar to a rifle.

I agree with almost all replys but I have had several different slug guns and I still go back to my old New England 20 guage single shot and with the hornady slugs it is an absolute tack driver (for a slug gun) 1.5" at 100yds and 2.5" at 200yds I catch all kinds of crap at deer camp but its never missed yet.

Re: Pinning the barrel - Barrels that are slid into the receiver and held in place by a screw/knob at the end of the magazine tube tend to move around under fire. This isn't a problem when shooting shot but it really doesn't do much for accuracy when shooting single projectile loads (slugs). In an effort to minimize this rather loose fitting arrangement some sluggunners have the barrel permanently "pinned" to the receiver. A small hole is drilled through the receiver & barrel so that a pin can be driven into place which locks the two together. The only down side to doing this is that you can't just pull the barrel off and put a smooth bore barrel on for turkey or small game hunting. It "dedicates" the gun for slug use.

Personally, I look at a slug gun as a 100-125yd biggame gun. If you can get a sluggun to shoot 3" groups at 100yds there seems to be no real advantage to jumping through hoops to getting more accuracy. I shoot an 11-87, for which I own 3 barrels. One of them is a rifled, cantilevered slug barrel. Federal Premium Barnes slugs easily shoot into 3" groups. I'm sure that a 5" group @ 125yds wouldn't be too difficult.

Bottom line (for me anyway) - experiment with different slugs for best accuracy and leave it at that.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.