Shot Sizes for Long Range Hunting

Broken Brow

When you are looking at Hevi-Shot, Remington HD, Winchester Xtended Range, Hevi-13, and ITX Extreme Turkey Trauma-13 shot (#4's – #7's), larger shot has several advantages over smaller shot:

· Flatter trajectory
· Less wind drift
· Greater penetration (when looking at equal velocities)
· Larger shot sizes are legal in all states

So why use smaller HTL shot for long range then? Because the limiting factor for HTL will almost always be pattern density rather than penetration. Smaller pellets mean more pellets in loads of equal weight. More pellets give the potential for denser patterns. Denser patterns will give you more range.

If you are getting the minimum 100 pellets in a 10-inch circle, you can assume the penetration is there with HTL. Use the smallest pellets you can and adjust your POA as necessary.

I disagree..... large shot will travel farther.... and retain velocity......
10 gauge magnum
3-1/2"
handloads of.....
#4 buckshot....2oz.
52 gr.Alcan #7
bill larson

I've always felt that the big fun in turkey hunting is getting them to crawl all over you, LOL! I shoot #5 or #6 shot in 2 3/4" Winchester turkey loads. In Michigan the biggest shot size allowed during turkey season is #4 lead or comparable in the newer stuff.

I prefer to shoot the largest size pellets that will pattern the tightest and at the longest distance. This has always been my preference, whether it's for turkey, coyote or geese.

Hit 'em and hit 'em hard! :cool:

Bowhunter57

I've dropped long beards at 70+ yards with 3" H378I's (1 7/8oz #4x5x7) with an older ithaca 37 nwtf gun of the year, with work done. Dont really like taking those kind of shots, but some times those birds hang up.

I shoot 5's for turkey. I like them up close, but can kill them at 70yds. I will be trying a .660 choke this year and would like to have my forcing cone lengthened. I think I can get an extra 10yds if everything plays out right.

I am a traditionalist and like Lead for game that it can be used on legally.

I like #2s And #4s depending on the terrain. Also For shot density I prefer
the largest loads I can find. (3 1/2 " 2 1/4 oz loads) because you can never tell when a
coyote may show up or a nice tom holds up at 60+yards.

#4s can be a little light if you have to make a 60+ yard shot (The last time I stretched the
range with #4s to 68 Yards I found pellets just under the skin) the head shot is the only way
to go if the ranges are long.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I stretched it out one day and shot a longbeard down in Texas two years ago at 110 yards. Tha .243 Sako is a real tack driver, LOL! Before anybody says anything, it was legal and I was with my Dad on his last hunt before he died five days shy of his 89th birthday! It was the most accurate of many rifles he had over his lifetime and I also shot a big black piggy right between the eyes with it that day!

Handload #4 Tungsten, 2.25 oz over 33 grains of STEEL (Remington SP-10). Even at 70 yards the bird I got last year had through through hits in the body. Tungsten is hard and is close to double the mass per size of lead shot. It patterns beautifully no matter what shot size you use.

Another thing I am looking at doing for my shotgun to help with groups is to lengthen my forcing cone. This is supposed to reduce recoil and tighten up patterns. Tight patterns=longer range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts