SHOT show

Ian M

Anybody beside Dave K. going? Sure enjoyed meeting Len there last year, we had a nice visit and met some good industry folk.

I'd love too. How does one get invited? Need someone to carry your bag?

I will be there Thursday afternoon and Friday. Where/when would you like to meet?

Dave

I have not organized the meetings and invites yet, usually a kind of crazy "schedule" during the show for me. I will be at the T/C booth on and off since my big bear will be there and I want to visit several friends who will be working there. Would enjoy meeting you guys, hopefully will cross paths. This is a working holiday, so many great friends to catch-up with and so many new people to meet, plus all the new gear and goodies to check on, plus editors to meet with and people to interview for upcoming articles and columns.

If you happen to see my name-tag, stop and say hi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would love to see Dave King's face when he first hits the LE/Military area - might be more than he can handle! So many toys.....

I'll be based at booth 7931 (Ron Nemetchek) in the North Hall "Outfitter's Post" area.

Dave,

Would there be a possibility to get a SHOT show vendors catalog, with shipping of course?

Thanks Ken

I didn't see a thing such as a vendors catalog, sorry.

I had a fairly good time at the show. I ran across Ian a few times and we wedged in a few words... good time as always talking to him.

I didn't see anything I absolutely needed but I did see some neat things for work.

I got back early this AM (13 Feb 2006) but my baggage is still on vacation somewhere on the planet. ( A vendor had given me a high dollar scope to test and report on and its also in the lost baggage... I'm thinking he's gonna get a real short report...about like the WWII submarine sinking message "sighted sub - sunk same" only it'll be, "Sighted scope - lost same.!"

Dave,
Apologize for not having more time - the SHOT show is not one of my more organized situations... Not sure if there is such a thing in my life, but SHOT is right up there for crazy. Started Wednesday, shooting out in the desert - all morning with Winchester on a great variety of steel targets supplied by Kurt Stone from Vegas. He even had a superb moving target system running that absorbed hundred of hits. Not sure how many thousand rounds were fired that morning but I did my share and then some - believe it was extra-ordinary for burning ammo because of Kurts great targets. Then went to another shooting event in the pm, bullet testing medium, Savage, Ruger, Sisk and lots of others in attendance. Sore shoulder and feet - about done in that evening when I finally got back to the hotel.

Not a great way to start the SHOT show, tired and sore but what the hell. First event was an early morning breakfast with T/C, great time with good friends, then down to the main halls and into the SHOT show routine. Went and saw George Gardner, deposits on a couple of rifles and drooled all over the incredible rifles he had on display. Then to Mike Rock to order barrels, then on and on. Met with Jeff Huber for an incredible one-on-one instruction session on the intracasies of the Nightforce ballistics program for almost an hour (I am a very slow learner, Jeff was very patient and he taught me some very slick tricks which will be in an upcoming NRA story). Then to Leupold for a review of their new laser and to learn about all their new ALUMINA scope goodies. Then things like lunches with companies like Leupold, where I enjoyed a great presentation and nice visit with Jacob G. the Texas tactical guru, John Barsness and Eileen and several other interesting guys at our table. Jacob lamented about me tuning him in a shooting match last summer - made me feel real proud, but I think he was being a bit kind. I did win the rifle tho.

Then continuous visiting editors, manufacturers, outfitters, reps, writers, old friends and brand new acquaintances. Second evening went directly from the show to a reception put on by Cooper, then down the hall to one put on by Swarovski, then upstairs to a shaker put on by George Gardner and Marty Bordson (GA Precision and Badger Ord). No big deal, the odd interesting person there - how about Gary Schnieder (barrel maker), Kelly McMillan and Dick Davis (McMilland Stocks), Mike Rock and his guys, John Williams jr (USO), hell, I cannot remember all the fantastic people in attendance. A lot of guys with very short haircuts and no necks. One particular honor for me was talking hunting with Gary Schnieder, he is one interesting guy. Another honor, and I do mean honor, was meeting and talking to Chuck Mahwinnie, top sniper for the Marines in Viet Nam.
Next days I had one on ones and seminars with guys like Jeff Hoffman from BHA, Gregg Ritz, owner of T/C, and head-office people from Nikon, Leupold, Winchester, Leica, Dakota Arms, Hornady, Remington, Barnes, USO, knife makers, tactical gear makers, scope mounts, binocs, muzzleloader builders, outfitters, editors and umpteen people I only get to see once a year. I got lots of great writing opportunities, a few toys, a few hunts, factory tours and other interesting plans for the rest of '06 and into '07.
Dave, I really want to get some time together - only with rifles, ammo and either steel or critters in the scopes. Maybe another Alta shoot or something?

My baggage showed up this morning at 0430 via pickup truck at my front door! I have all my valuables and that new scope, woo hooo!

Ian,, I had the opportunity to met Chuck Mawhinney ? Mahwinney (seen it spelled both ways) at George Gardners booth, seemed like a very low key and regular sort of fella.

I didn't get to the Nightforce booth but did stop at Trijicon, Leupold, Shirstone, Unertal and some other new off-shore optics shops. I looked at Georges rifles and the new Ruger "tactical" bolt rifle.

I believe I'm off to Africa sometime soon for a safari.

I saw a very neat lazer engraving/cutting system, computer controlled and quite powerful.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.