Shot shell reloading for Damascus steel Remington double

SofaKing

I bought an vintage remington model 1900 double barrel Damascus steel 12 gauge. The shotgun has been inspected by a gun smith and was given a green light on being safe to shoot.

I got a mec jr 12ga reloader when I bought a used reloading setup. I have afew different charge bars that came with. One for turkey loads, one for duck/goose, and one for trap.

I understand that this was a blackpowder shell shotgun and that modern loads create too much pressure for the Damascus steel barrels. So what kind of powder and how how much would be recommended to use? Type of Wads? And what size and weight of the shot?

I bought an vintage remington model 1900 double barrel Damascus steel 12 gauge. The shotgun has been inspected by a gun smith and was given a green light on being safe to shoot.

I got a mec jr 12ga reloader when I bought a used reloading setup. I have afew different charge bars that came with. One for turkey loads, one for duck/goose, and one for trap.

I understand that this was a blackpowder shell shotgun and that modern loads create too much pressure for the Damascus steel barrels. So what kind of powder and how how much would be recommended to use? Type of Wads? And what size and weight of the shot?

somewhere around the house (have not seen the book in quite awhile) I have an old Hogdon's manual that gives loads for the old guns using smokeless powder. I'd probably just give them a call to see if they can help you. My other manual has no data in it for a Damascus barrel, and even a warning. So be safe!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.