Shot Groups

Measuring a group to three decimal points is all a bunch of gun magazine hokus pokus. I dont care if they do make an outside micrometer to do it more accurately. You're measuring holes cut in a product that is highly changable due to thickness, dierction of grain, % moisture, temperature , etc. A 1/2" group is no more accurate than a .50" group or a .500 group. It's just like fluted barrels and the Browning barrel tuning thing hung on the end of the rifle... all hokus pokus.

Three decimal points? That's for beginners. My gun shoots .25000000000000" at 100 yards, but I have to admit that it didn't shoot that good until I fluted the barrel and added the BOSS system! LOL

-X3M

Last edited:
Measuring a group to three decimal points is all a bunch of gun magazine hokus pokus. I dont care if they do make an outside micrometer to do it more accurately. You're measuring holes cut in a product that is highly changable due to thickness, dierction of grain, % moisture, temperature , etc. A 1/2" group is no more accurate than a .50" group or a .500 group. It's just like fluted barrels and the Browning barrel tuning thing hung on the end of the rifle... all hokus pokus.

I have to respond to this one just to clear it up.

The reason that groups are typically measured in thousandths it to be precise and when working up loads for long range it will tell you if your on the right tract.an extreme example
would be a change in group size from .500 to .475 , very hard to see with the naked eye
but .025 at 100 yards could mean 1/4 " at a 1000 yards. not much but I have seen matches
won by less than that.

What most are looking for is a significant change and the only way to be accurate is to use
an accurate method.

Even if you only reduce the overall group size by ,100 thousandths it is a more consistant
load and will hit more accuratly shot to shot.

If you are happy with a group that you can cover with a quarter then be happy but a quarter
is 7/8" and most on this site aren't happy unless they can shoot 1/2 MOA groups because of
the range.

I have also heard of a measurement of "1 Minute of buffalo" but to each his on.

Accuracy is achieved by very small steps and the only way to measure these steps is in
thousandths of an inch.

If this kind of measure was Hokus pokus then why do we measure bullet seating depth in thousandths, head space in thousandths, free bore in thousandths and most everything that
must be accurate to build an accurate rifle.

Don't be offended but if you are happy with rounding every thing off to "Close to a 1/2 inch"
fine but Some of us want to be a little more precise. close only counts with horse shoes and
hand grenades.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Hi guys,

I have a 7 SAUM build with a Pierce Titanium Action and a No. 5 Brux Barrel. In the very beginning when this rifle was new it would shoot in .20's, (first half dozens groups) however that was short lived. It will put 2 in the same hole and then throw one out vertically. It is sometimes low and sometimes high usually around 1 inch. I have tried Caurterucio, Berger and Nosler bullets and all give basically the same results. I have cut and crowned the barrel twice, re-bedded the action, tried 3 different scopes and changed scope mounts. The more i shoot the rifle trying to figure out the problem the larger the group size get. It basically went from .25 to .35 to .45 to .55 to .85 and now is around 1.00. It may throw any one of the shots out. There is not any consistency. Have scoped barrel and it looks normal. My loads are good. Some of my loads have had an ES of 5.

I have been loading for accuracy for over thirty years and am familiar with all applications of reloading. I have never had a rifle that I could not figure out the problem, but this one has stumped me. Anyone have any ideas? I have decided it has to be the barrel.

By the way I have a new barrel that will be here this week and it is not a BRUX.

The funny thing is the Browning barrel tuning system or BOSS really DOES work...just not in the way some people hoped it would. IT WILL HELP with increasing factory load accuracy, sometimes by quite a bit, but there is NO reason to have a BOSS system if you reload your own ammo. It wont make it anymore accurate than you can reload.

My father-in-law has 3 rifles with BOSS. Not every factory load was able to shoot great but the BOSS allowed you to shrink those groups. We took federal fusions shooting about 3MOA and were able to tune those groups down to about 1MOA. HOWEVER, we shot some winchester super Xs that started at 1.25 or so MOA and it was not able to shrink it anymore. So what the BOSS system does for you is if you DO NOT reload, it allows you to use factory ammo that may otherwise shoot like crap in your gun because it is out of tune, giving the average hunter more ammo choices. By average, I mean someone shooting less than 400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.