Shortest legal barrel for rifle???

As I understand it, rifles are limited to 16inches.

It looks as though pistols are not limited in barrel length, however I think that some states may have different laws.

At least were not Canada, my wifes custom 16.5 inch barreled 10-22 was under their 18.5, oddly enough a 16.25 inch chipmunk was ok since it was factory original..... As long and as tedious as atf rules are to wade through it could be worse.

Ok I'll be straight forward!!

I take a rem 700 short action and

Add a Tube Rifle stock.

Cut the barrel to 15" add a brake which takes it over 16"

Leave the butt stock in the vehicle or on the horse or in the pack and

use the sucker as a Specialty Hand Gun.

Whoz gonna take me to court on that!

I have all the parts except the tube rifle part.

from what I understand, the muzzle break would have to be permanantly affixed to the barrel. Either soldered or pinned, the entire rig must still clear 26 inches regardless of stock configuration

Here's what I'm thinkin'

I'll measure from the butt end where the butt attachment stub ends and stretch a measuring tape till I get to 26 inches up the barrel and put a sharpie mark.

I'll then take a hack saw to the forward side of the sharpie mark. Set up in lathe true up and crown.

Now if that isn't a redneck project I don't know what is.:D

An old brain cell thinks it remembers, you can "customize" a handgun action to a rifle barrel length, but you can't take an action that was originally a rifle and "customize" it to pistol length. I don't know who might take you to court, but where they send you they won't let you play with a hacksaw anymore. Best to check with the folks who write stuff down, and say things in alphabet. Stuff like Hello ATF were only here to help.

It is illegal to use an action that was registered as a pistol to build a rifle and it is also illegal to do it the other way around!

Something else is that a removable break does not constitute part of the barrel length for minimum length. But will it be counted as over length on a pistol?

It is illegal to use an action that was registered as a pistol to build a rifle and it is also illegal to do it the other way around!

Absolutely NOT true.

You can use a handgun action to make a rifle........if you want to use a rifle action to make a handgun, you must first submit a Form 1 to the batf and pay a $200 tax......after the form 1 is approved, you may build the firearm......the resulting firearm is classified as a "short barreled rifle".

To answer the original question, the federal minimum length for a rifle barrel is 16", there is no federal maximum length for a handgun barrel, some state laws do restrict the maximum length of a handgun barrel.

Minimum overall length for a rifle is 26"

I just might be wrong and hope that I am. 2011-4 applies only to firearms that were originally designed and manufactured to be convertible.

Here's what I think I want to end up with but most probably single shot.

I have the Rem short action already, and would really like to use it. Think cheap here. Heck the 200 Form 1 would even fit in the scenario. But what happens when I kick the bucket and its still in the safe?

Here's a view of Kevin's Indiana deer legal pistol in 243. For more info check out the prototype page. (Mak)

Attachments

• Pistol2.jpg
    Pistol2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.