Shortest Barrel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by coues7, Feb 16, 2007.

1. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

I'm having a custom gun built and need to order a barrel. I want a light rifle that is capable of sub MOA out to at least 600 yards. Its going to be a 300 Win Mag.....what is the shortest barrel I can go with while shooting HIGH BC bullets and still be affective on big game (elk).

Thanks

2. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Great hunting story.
    Glad you didn't put it down in the "Bullets, Barrel and Ballistics" Section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I would go with a 26 on a light weight pack around and a 28-30 for a dedicated long range rig.

4. SamSpade

SamSpade Well-Known Member

5. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

I shoot specialty handguns with barrels from 14" to just a hair under 18" in the 16-18 in barrels I notice about a 300 fps differnce between my MV's and rifle length MV's. My accuracy is on par with a rifle and 600 yards with a 300 Winnie in a Specialty Handgun is not a problem. You could go as short as you can legally and still have the horsepower to do the job.

6. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

Buffalobob.....your probably right.....someone in admin should move it.

One thing I've noticed is that alot of you guys have long long barrels.....I know that this helps keep velocity high but it also adds eight.

I'm thinking a 24"+2" brake fluted

7. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

a 30-06 with a 22" barrel is a very efficient combination. a Holland QD brake would only add 1.25" and works better than most.just don't get a brake with holes the whole way around.