Shortened 6.5mm RSAUM out to 500 yards

pafisher

I'm looking to build one or two hunting rifles on a remington style short action for large deer out to 500 yards. I've been thinking about building them based on the Remington SAUM cartridge and want to use a 6.5mm round like the 142gr SMK. What do you guys think of the shortened 6.5 version discussed here (58 gr water capacity)?
http://www.zediker.com/books/rifleshooter/rs_web_promos/rs_ammunition_spread.pdf

It looks like a 6.5mm 142 gr. Sierra MK @ 3100 will deliver deliver sufficient energy @ 500 yards (> 1500). The shorted SAUM case described in the article looks like it will perform roughly like the 6.5x284, but feed well in the short action. So what do you guys think of such a combination?

thanks in advance,
paul

If you can get it down to 58gr, it would be an excellent cartridge. Perfect 6.5 capacity. I'm not sure on available brass quality though(haven't measured it).

Yeah, I've been looking at the brass situation. Basically Remington and that's it, and my experience with it has never been good. I could probably start from 7mm WSM brass which would expand the possibilities to Winchester (ok, but not great) and Norma (good, but somewhat soft sometimes) at least.

Basically, I am looking to build a magnum boltface in a short action to shoot a 6.5 142 SMKs @ 3100. I believe that this will get me sufficient downrange energy @ 500 yards to reliably take down a 350lb target. (If I've got this wrong, please correct me.)

paul

I was looking at it from a 1k benchrest perspective. If Rem brass is cheap, I'm sure you could cull out good cases. Buy ~300 and pick out the best. Winchestor WSM brass is actually pretty good stuff. The WSSM is very good, just too thick.

Why not just go 6.5WSSM? The difference in real world vel and energy is moot. You should be able to get 2800 to 2900fps from a 26" barrel and 142MK. That will do everything you want on deer at 500yds and effective at 1000yds on paper.

The WSSM is very close in volume to the 284case.

Of course, there are the 260Rem, 6.5X55 (both reg. and AI) 6.5X57 and 6.5-06 that all do a great job for your intended uses.

I hunt and plink to 1000m with my 6.5-06 and 140gr SST. Easy sub MOA at 1000m if I can dope the wind. No issue with impact energy further then you want to go.

Jerry

A little birdy whispered in my ear and tells me Mr. Matthews has the reamer for a 6.5 WSSM.... shhhhhhh

e-mail or call him... you're gonna beat me to my 1K BR project....but hey .. alls good....

;-)

Jerry, the reason that I am staying away from the WSSM case is that as someone else mentioned it is too thick. What I'd love is a magnum headed case for which Lapua made brass, but I can't come up with anything practical.

As to some of the other suggestions, they either don't have the case capacity to push the 142 over 3000, or they are too long for a short action.

paul

Ric

Now just stop it! Tryin to get someone else into the fold aehhh. Hmmm, sounds like an interesting project! ****..Here we go again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

well I would not plan any long term projects on Rem SAUM brass. Keep hearing it is not selling well and going away, the WSMs are kicking its butt.

Lot of other good cartridges to design from. Even if thick, inside neck reaming will take care of that.

BH

I think you misunderstand. The case head web area is thicker then most cartridges. This is a great thing. What it allows is for better case life and higher pressures without case bulging.

The upper part and neck of the case is no different then any other.

If the 25WSSM is an indicator, this case will approximate '06 variants ie the 25-06. This then makes it ideal for the 140/142gr 6.5. The key is how much slow burning powder will fit.

I bet you can get 52 to 55gr of powder in that case. That will get you to 3000fps easily, in a long barrel. That is the same case capacity as the 6.5-284.

If you want bigger then the 6.5-06 and 6.5WSM will make you happy.

I am also shy about the RSAUM as it may not survive in the marketplace. You might want to contact Rem and see if they will say anything.

Jerry

Guys
I was over at Shortmags.org recently and someone had posted a release from Remington that stated something to the effect that the SAUM line had their full support and wasn't going anywhere. Now that doesn't mean that won't change next week or next month depending on profits, but for now it looks like they'll be around.

Both a 25-06 and the 6.5/284(both at 68grH20 cap) have well over 10gr more capacity than a WSSM case. A 270WSM is 80grH2O cap. A 7RSAUM shows as 72grH2O cap(or equal to a 6.5/284-necked down), so getting it down to 58gr would be interesting. The WSSM has great potential in 6.5, and I just had 2 barrels chambered in an improved version, which gives me 57grH2O cap. Thats as much as can be gotten with it as the brass measures .025 thickness. That extra 12thou thickness reduces it's potential capacity by 5 grains! Neck thickness don't matter-it's full of .264 bullet.
If winchester reduced this thickness, and stopped playing the speed game with rediculous loads and cals, it could have the cartridge of the decade in 6.5wssm. Atleast in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you need drawings, or even want to borrow a full reamer set for it, let me know. If you pursue the 58gr SAUM, let me know. I'm interested in it as well. Like I said, you can buy 300 cases, pick the best, and wear out many barrels with what you have. Regardless of Remingtons future.

mikecr,

Ther reamer Chris Matthews has is the Imp. version of the WSSM.. I think he calls it the 6.5 WAMI... put alot of thought into it and It just may be pretty much the "cartridge of the decade" who knows ... we plan on making some neat stuff with it.
My first intent was to build a 1K BR rifle ( 16 lb ) which will happen when they finish the 1K BR range here in Cody... I also have ideas on a lighter carry rifle for Eastern Whitetail ( to 400-500 yards ) put a good ballistic tip in it and you really have somthing...

I thought a Med. weight barrel 22-24" ( VLS or Sendero type contour ) in an HTG stock..... man.... I just think that would be the Cats ***.. light recoil and accurate....

just some thoughts

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.