Short Weatherby magazine

Tikkamike

My dad has a 338-378 weatherby accumark. He shoots a 225 TSX and wants to use a 225 TTSX or an even heavier bullet but is so limited with the short magazine box. Does anyone know if there is a custom magazine box out there or something similar to what Wyatts does for remingtons.

I think that Weatherby parts has a +1 drop box bottom metal rig available. It isn't a removable magazine setup, and it does require removing most of the tit on the back of the mag well cutout in the receiver. I'm not sure how much extra length it provides, but is a little longer than the 3.8" standard box.

Check them out, Tom

Last edited:
Mike, my experience with the .338 x .378 is that if your dad tries to feed any bullet over 250grs out of the magazine they're going to be too deep in the case. The two 300gr Smkhp loads that I use are 3.9" and 4.0" O.A.L. and have to be single loaded. I think the 4" load may have a very slight edge in accuracy.

I tried some 250gr bullets. My rifle didn't like them, but as I recall, they also had to be pushed back behind the neck into the case to get to magazine length.
My rifle did like the 225 X bullet factory load though, and maybe the 225gr TTSX bullet could be pushed back just far enough to go into the mag without hurting accuracy. If the factory loads a 225 TTSX, the odds go up that it will work O.K.

I'd like to know what you end up doing, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.