short throats and long bullets????

cam,..the clinch rivers can be ordered directly from Greg Seigmund
(865) 805-1036

The newest 210 JLK design is not really out yet, won't be long though.

The JLK I believe has the largest radius ogive, so it will have the shortest bearing length. Might be the one to throat it with to make sure you have enough of it left in the neck, of course the 240 SMK will be down in the juncture it's so long and has a shorter radius ogive. You've simply got to comprimise at some point.

S1 said the 216 CR has a shorter radius ogive than the JLK. I've never seen one, but it might be along the lines of the Berger or maybe leaning even more toward the SMK a little.

When going in with a throater, the pilot centers in the bore (you will have to fit a pilot though). Dave probably has a tapered insert to fit the chamber to position the rear of the reamer, which would assume the chamber is perfect, and chambered in a perfect sutup.

Just call Dave and talk it over with him, he'll not steer you wrong.

What I'd do - Take one of your cases and split the neck with a dremmel or hacksaw (I think you already have) and chamber it with each bullet you want to use, that's the first step. Now you can see and measure where they all fall in relation to the neck/shoulder junction etc. Decide where a happy medium is, what would put what bullet where etc, and determine what fits your needs best.

Just remember, you throut it for the 240 SMK and it don't shoot, you'll need to set it back and rechamber to keep enough bearing surface on the 210's in the neck... more than likely. Decisions, decisions...
smile.gif

Where do you get the 216 Clinch river bullets?

Are the new 210 JLK's any different than the old ones?

Thanks cam

Thanks Brent,..I'll go to the split cases and see what looks best. Good point about the 240SMK,..I think I'll hold off on extending the throat until I have exhausted the 210's, 215's, and 216's.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.