short mags anyone?

firstcoueswas80

i havent read much about short mags on here. does anyone like them? i have one in 270wsm that i love! i used it this year to take my coues and it is extremly accurate. im talking .323 with a then 19 y/o behind the trigger ( 20 now) it really really likes anything hand loaded, especially 140 accubonds with h4831sc. i usually use f215m primers but tongiht i ran out. i loaded its second favorite bullet, 130 HIB, h4350 and f210 primers. this primer should be good enough to burn all the powder and get decent velocity correct?

my WSM is a custom made rifle made by bettin custom guns. i love the rifle but it is kind of not practical for hunting. it weighs about 12 pounds if not more and it only holds 3 shells all together! the gun is a tack driver but if i get my 7mag shooitng as good/better than this one it might me retired orused as my bench rest gun/coyote gun/ when i feel like killin my self in the hills gun! i am interested to see if anyone out there likes the short mags as i really like mine alot!
Casey

Sound practical enough. If you can drive tacks, you'll have 2 reserve rounds after your initial shot. I just purchased my first which is a 300 saum. I know that they are supposed to be obsolete right off the shelf, but the price was great and I couldn't pass it up. If/When it gets bad, I can always rechamber. Haven't shot it yet, but will do so when I get the time.

nighthunter264wm, I recently bought a 300 saum also.Im having Kirby order a reamer that will chamber this round with 180 gr bullets (based on accubond)so the base of the bullet wont protrude into the case.Itll have to be used as a single shot.Hoping for a tack driver with good barrel life.Just kind of experimenting as Ive had an interest in the saums since they came out.(obsolete or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

night hunter, you ever hunted coues deer? have you seen where they live? a 12 pound gun on top of a 30 pound pack, 7 pound binos and me being 6'3 265 lbs makes for a looooong day! however, it is a awesome gun and depending on my 7mag, may see lots of action!

ps, my old coues gun ( remington 700 lss mountain 30-06) weighes in at under 8lbs!

I shoot a 270WSM mostly, but pack a rifle to fit the occasion. It is my choice for coues also as the shot distances can be great. The gun comes in at almost 12 lbs and the rest of my daily gear gets lightened to make up for the gun weight. This last hunt total weight was around 50 lbs. and I do hike a lot in the mountains. I just take my time and glass a lot.

I have a Sako AV that was the first gun that I ever bought 30 years ago chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, I bought A new McMillan stock for it last year and fell in love with it again but after working up a load for it I realized the barrel was a little long in the tooth. I decided it was time to make this a fully custom rig, I had Kirby (fiftydriver) wave his magic lathe over the action and put me on a new barrel chambered in 284BSM (270wsm Norma brass necked up to 7mm) the throat on his reamer is perfect for 160gr Accubonds so it takes up the entire neck and no more.
when I got the metal work back from Fiftydriver I had my friend 7MMRHB do the ultimate bedding job (and brass tweaking) it was time for load developement and I was so busy at work that my nephew Goodgrouper did that for me for the most part. I am usually a do it your selfer but on this project I used my friends and it turned out great. my 284BSM shoots 160 Accubonds at 3185fps (150fps faster than the old 7mmRemMag barrel)with 4 or 5 grains less powder and far superior accuracy. the only negative to the project was that it gave Fiftydriver fits making the magazine feed correctly.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
i havent read much about short mags on here. does anyone like them?

Like them, I love my 300wsm. It is the most accurate hunting rifle I own.
700 Action
Broughton Barrel
HS Mag
Mcmillan Sako Varmint stock
and 175 SMK's @ 3050fps
Built by Chris Matthews / LongShot Rifles

Hi Casey
I have a Rem 700 with Hart 24" barrel with hunting mcmillan stock,weight 6.7lbs added a few helpers Jewell, tubbs pin, this gun amazing only three shot groups last fall working load for it, much same load as yours H 4831 67,
140gr nosler bt with mag Fed primers shot .125"
Put some nosler partions to hunt and step up a little powder
with caution, ok shot a 200lb buck at 390yards instant kill
this is the best cartridge I have ever owned,it just seems to me the short stubby cartridges are great look at the 6ppc
the 284 they just seem to work!

Hi
this is my first post on this site I was so impressed with the amount of usefull info i had to register.Anyway Iam from the UK and have a custom Nesika built 7mm/300wsm (match chambered)I have not had it long and the first outing with it was to Africa,it performed well I was very happy

YES ON THE 325 WSM. I NOW HAVE 3 OF THEM. FIRST MODEL 70 COYOTE LITE IS SHOOTING -1/2" @ 100YDS WITH 180 GRAIN BARNES TRIPLEXXX @ 3150fps. LOADED THE 200 NOSLEER ACUBOND @ 3075'/S ACUURACY IS I/2' GROUPS ALSO. AVAILABLE RECOMMENDED LOAD DATA IS ON THE LITE SIDEBY A LOT.
WINCHESTERS'S SUPREME FACTORY LOAD WITH THIER LUBALOX CTG IS LOADED WITH 69.3 GRAINS OF WIN 760.AND ON MY CHRONY RUNS @ 3080'/SEC. @ 55 DEGREE'S AND 5500' ALTITUDE. THEIR RECOMENDED LOAD FOR THE 180 IS 64 GRAINS @ 2,850 FPS.
IF YOU WANT TO EQUAL FACTORY LISTINGS YOU WILL HAVE TO EXCEED EVERBODY;S MAX RECOMMENFDED LOADS TO GET THERE BUT THE EFFORT IS WELL WORTH THE TIME.
RIFLE # 2 IS A NEW 1885 HIWALL THAT HASN'T GOT TO THE RANGE YET (NO SCOPE BASES YET. #3 IS A NEW MODEL 70 CLASSICWITH ONE RIDE TOE RANGE. OUT OF THE BOX FIRST GROUP WAS JUST OVER 1/2". GOOD THINGS WILL COME FROM THIS ONE ALSO.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.