Short-action F-class rifle, caliber?

The problem with .284 anything is recoil. I know it is kinda the darling right now. 2008 winner and such. I've never shot a .284 so I can't really speak intelligently but I do know a 7mag with 68g of Retumbo and 180vld and 3000fps MV is a hoss. Recoil isn't terrible but I don't know if I want to shoot it all day for 50-60 rounds.
280AI? I've got the barrel for one but never shot it. Thinking about getting a hunting rifle made with this chamber. Good MV and no belted case. Plus it is just cool.

My F-class is a 6BRX. Kinda like a dasher and shoots good.

As far as the 6.5 I think the 6.5x284 wins out over the 260 and 6.5x47. Unless barrel life is considered:)

I like my 260. I get 3000 fps with 129SST and 2800 with the 130VLD. Accuracy load not velocity for the VLD. If I had to have on gun it would be the 6.5x47 or 260. Knowing it wouldn't be ideal for Fclass but pretty good.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I've tried for years to have that "one gun" Most all of us have. My real advice is to get a good stock, action, and 6mm chambering and have a good Fclass gun. Then get a good stock, action and 7mm chambering and have a good hunting gun. Hard to blend a top shelf fclass and hunting rig. IMHO

LouBoyd:
I know the saum and .284 fit in short action guns, you get barrels throated for the longer secant ogive bullets such as the 180 Berger and it works. You may or may not be able to use the magazine but that's not critical for F-class, for hunting I may use a different bullet if I can't use the magazine, or learn to reload quickly :D.
I'm not sure what you consider a heavy low drag bullet for the .308, I shoot 178grain amaxs at a OAL of 2.965" and when I was shooting with .280fan last weekend he loaded his 180berger vlds to 3.1".

Limbic:
I am aware of the recoil, but I think with a limbsaver pad and either my can or a muzzle break in a 10-12lbs rifle it should be manageable.
I've heard good stuff about the 6BRX, good performace but not much recoil and inheritently very accurate.
I know the 6.5x284 is king, but at a very high price, the barrels burn out real fast, that's why I'm not even going to consider it, don't have the money to swap barrels every few months.
I do like the 260, seems like a good round, I will debate between a 6.5x47, 260, or a 6mm for my light carry gun on a later date.

I also have my ar15 which I am buying a bunch of uppers for to make it real versitile I think I have most hunting scenarios covered once i got these guns, the rest will be extras just for fun. I'm thinking a 6.5 or 6mm in a light carry gun, .284win f-class mid range medium game rifle, ar15 .300whisper with suppressor for deer and hogs within 200yards, ar15 .338 lapua or .416 Barrett for really long stuff/range fun.
I may get a 6.5x47 for my light carry rifle since it seems to be like the .260rem but a little more power, less case capacity= less powder so probably also a little better barrel life over the 260. I just liked the 260 because Kimber chambers the m84 in it, making it easier to get in a light weight package.

Youre going to have to choose between a bit more drift and a bit more drop and long barrel life or short barrel life and a laser trajectory. You simply cannot have the best of both worlds. You can meet in the middle but not have it both ways.

IMHO, the 7mm SAUM or 300 WSM are good balances between barrel life, recoil and good down range energy for hunting and respectable drift for F-Class.

Other wise, the 308's secret weapons are 26-30" barrels, VV N-500 series powders and VLD bullets. The 190 Berger hosts a BC of .570 and can be run over 2750 with 26" tubes and N500 powders. This makes a heck of a F-Class load. At 1K in a 10 MPH wind the drift is 75-80" where as the 6.5x284 runs 62-67". The difference here is afforability and bbl life.

If it is hunting you have in mind, look at the 200 SGK. With a minimum expansion velocity of 1500 FPS she gets you out to 750 yards with just over 1500 FPS and just over 1000 pounds of energy.

Last edited:
Limbic:
I was referring to the matches at Quantico i shoot, it's "modified F-class" they let you use muzzle breaks and suppressors. but i suppose i shouldnt get in the habit of using one so i dont have a problem when i shoot somewhere else.

Michael:
Wow you may just have presuaded me to stick to .308 with a single post. I knew you can push 185 Lapua FMJs to 2700 with RL17, but then you run out of case capacity. If i get a 28 or 30in Broughton 5C, do you think i could push the 190 to 2800fps? that would be a hella load! Also if i got a real nice .308 i think i will be at an advantage because no matter how nice a .284win i get, the 6.5-284s will outshoot me in that class. I think ill just stay with my .308 and get a real long tube for it, what kind of twist rate should i get? to launch the 190 berger and 200 gameking?

You know what? im sold. Im staying with the .308, if these velocities you say are achievable, ill stick with it. also gives me a good excuse to buy another rifle, can explain this is purely a competiton rifle :D

Thanks everyone and happy holidays!
Oliver Lottermann

Michael:

If i get a 28 or 30in Broughton 5C, do you think i could push the 190 to 2800fps? that would be a hella load!

what kind of twist rate should i get? to launch the 190 berger and 200 gameking?

With a 28-30" tube, yes. You may be limited to a couple of powders to do it with acceptable pressures. I have ran the 190 SMK and VLD's at 2750 with RL-15 but felt it was borderline hot. If I had a longer barrel and could reduce the load a grain or two it would be right there. I dont like running hot or near hot.

With VV N-540 I am able to reach 2750 without any pressure trouble with room for more in my 26" 11x Hart. 2750 is where the accuracy is for my barrel. Add 2-3" and you would be at the 2800 mark. I know it sounds fast for a 308 winnie, but with the right barrel and powder combo it is actually quite real. I have heard good things about the 5C barrels in the velocity department. Whatever barrel and bullet you choose, work up in .5 grain increments till the bolt sticks just a wee tiny bit and back off a couple grains.

As far as twist, an 11x will hande any of the 190's, the 200's and the 210/208's.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

M

but i suppose i shouldnt get in the habit of using one so i dont have a problem when i shoot somewhere else.

Just get a barrel cap made so if you decide to shoot under different rules you can just screw off the brake and put on the cap and you are good to go. It will shoot to a different point of impact but you only have to test that once to know what it is.

I have just dropped my rifle with Walker Custom Rifles to have the action and bolt trued, tactical bolt knob installed, a new 1-10twist 28" SS Hart put on and then get it rebedded. Cannot wait to get my rifle back in janurary!

Michael:
Can you send me a pm about how long you you load the 190bergers to? And what kind of reamer was used to cut the chamber in your .308win?

Thanks,
Oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.