Short action caliber of choice.....

Well if you're getting another bolt, why not shoot a regular magnum? When you're shooting long range, the first shot counts, so single shot shouldn't be an issue. Would open up a ton of possibilites.

My vote goes to the 260 , it'll feed just like the 308 , shoot as flat as a 300 win mag with a 190gr Match King and kick less than the 308 , barrel life should be in the 2000+ range. it would be easy to just swap the barrel , all you need to do is figure what the POI diferance is fro the 308 and the 260. You can use very much the same powders and such with the 260
Best of all your 30 cal suppressors will work fine with the 260

I'll be building a silencer for whatever I do end up with. Right now, I am going to go with the 7WSM shooting 168JLK, 180JLK, 168 Berger, 180 Berger, or 162AMAX for hunting.

I am probably going to go with the 6 or 6.5x47 for competition.

Does anyone have any experience with RL17 with any of these cartridges? I know that it is brand new, but I am really looking forward to seeing some numbers on the 7WSM shooting heavies.

I'll be building a silencer for whatever I do end up with. Right now, I am going to go with the 7WSM shooting 168JLK, 180JLK, 168 Berger, 180 Berger, or 162AMAX for hunting.

I am probably going to go with the 6 or 6.5x47 for competition.

Does anyone have any experience with RL17 with any of these cartridges? I know that it is brand new, but I am really looking forward to seeing some numbers on the 7WSM shooting heavies.

WSM's are not best for shooting the heavier bullets. Your 168's should do OK, but not sure about the 180's. Also, my guess is the 180's will almost certainly require to be fed single shot and possibly the the 168's. Will be intersted in seeing your results. No expeirence with RL17 here. I use only the temp stable powders. H4350 is a good WSM type powder, but middle of the road for velocity. I will gladly sacrifice a few fps for accuracy and consistancy.

Good shootin'

My vote goes for the 7WSM. Here's why.

I've got a 7-08 and a 7WSM, both with Broughton 5C 1:9 24" barrels. The WSM will push a 162 a-max at 2985fps while the 7-08 will run 2715fps. These loads are in the most accurate node just below pressure signs.
The WSM pushes the 180 Berger to 2900fps comfortably.
These loads are seated to fit in the mag box at 2.96" for the WSM and 2.89" for the 7-08.
I'm currently building another 7WSM on a Rem M7 action that will run the 175SMK or the 154 SST seated to 2.80".

I'd do a 7WSM and a 6x47L and be happy.
My $.02

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.