Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by kc, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

If a hunter was in a position to make a clean shot at a big fat White tail Deer that is standing broad side, and is up hill or in the same position but down hill, how should that hunter aim?
    The hunter also knows the distance..

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

3. RDM416

RDM416 Well-Known Member

+1 on the link from rscott.... The real short answer is when shooting uphill or downhill your impact will be "high". This is true for up and down hill and for practical purposes the elevation deviation will be the same for up and downhill angles. The link mentioned will give you info on how to measure and calculate the effect. So, in your question, the hunter should aim "low", how much is determined by the the angle not if it is "up" or "down" hill.

4. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Very good answer...I hope others read this post.

Thanks rscot.

5. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Hold low

6. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

with the new leice 1600 feature range it, take the degree, then enter in ex ball will give you the moa. Basicly at any distance shooting angles the target is really closer than you would of guessed.
    mike

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Bullett drop is a function of gravity.

At extreme angles, that effect is greatly reduced because the bullet is not traveling paralell to the gravitational pull.

Read the links provided and it'll explain in great detail how to adjust.

Either way (uphill or down) your bullet strike is going to be higher at any given distance when shooting at an extreme angle vs shooting at at target at your same elevation.

8. load

load Well-Known Member

use the horizantal distance for any real shootable distance. distance x angle cosin= range to target. or c squared - b squared = distance to target squared. gun)have fun!

9. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Yes, have fun, but make sure you have a lot of bullets because you won't hit anything with that goofy math. :D It'll be Vienna sausages and crakers only with no elk steaks for you

You should have paid more attention during geometry class. Cosine is spelled with an"'e".

10. scenarshooter

scenarshooter Active Member

[​IMG]

Or....just get one of these. The Vector will give you the distance to the target as well as the horizontal distance,(range to adjust for) and vertical distance as to how far above or below you are from the target.

11. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Your formula gives only the range, it ignores the diffent effect of gravity on bullett drop when shooting extreme angles.

12. load

load Well-Known Member

i didn't realize i had to spell cosine right for the math to work! this simple equation has worked good enouph for me so far. hunting in the rockies. It'll get anyone one alot closer than just the typical "aim low" crap. exact? no but close enouph to hit an elk at a shootable distance? YES. whats more you can spend all day punching figures into a calculator and still not hit anywere close to your figures. :rolleyes: it better to just understand the basic principles of why and get out and shoot!
    i didn't realize we were here to correct speeling or grammar for that matter. how about punctuation ya'll goin to rip me for that one also:rolleyes:

you can go ahead and speel check all you want i'm goin' shootin'gun)

13. load

load Well-Known Member

[:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  14. load

load Well-Known Member

yes i understand this but long range hunting were not exactly trying to pick off eggs on an 85 degree angle. The question was [
    If a hunter was in a position to make a clean shot at a big fat White tail Deer that is standing broad side, and is up hill or in the same position but down hill, how should that hunter aim?
    The hunter also knows the distance..
    ]
    this equation also does not take into account extreme range.
    at normal long ranges on angles encountered in most hunting situations this simple equation will get you close enouph to bag a deer or an elk. on all but the most extreme angles it'll get you close enouph for jack rabbit and yote.

aww dam miss speeled coyote. must mean i missed biology that day:rolleyes: