Shooting today at 1000, 1200, 1300 and 1780 yds

I went out a couple days ago to for my first attempt shooting at a mile. I was really surprised to learn that it can be done. I took a couple shots at quart bottle size targets and hit within inches when I read the wind right and it didn't change. This whole ELR thing has me scratching my head every time I go out and make a few good shots. My marmot ranges have extended to 1402 yards so far this year. A mile is my next goal.

Great job and u have just inspired me to find a longer place to shoot.

I am pretty lucky for shooting long range purposes. The property that I live on contains a small mountain (large hill) on it. I drive ten minutes and it takes another 5 minutes for set up and I am good to go even out to 2 miles if I wanted to. There is nothing as easy as using a naturally made hill for a good backstop! I am already thinking about replacing my 20 MOA base for a 30 MOA one haha!

I went out a couple days ago to for my first attempt shooting at a mile. I was really surprised to learn that it can be done. I took a couple shots at quart bottle size targets and hit within inches when I read the wind right and it didn't change. This whole ELR thing has me scratching my head every time I go out and make a few good shots. My marmot ranges have extended to 1402 yards so far this year. A mile is my next goal.

That is some good shooting! That mile shot will be a good challenge for sure.

I went out Monday and set up a lasered mile from a rock outcrop where there were marmots. My results were similar to the last time I shot at a mile; a few near misses, and a lot that had me wondering just where did that bullet go. I got caught by changes in the breeze, that I could not detect from my position, that might move my bullet 2 moa. As the morning progressed and warmed a bit from the freezing point I started shooting in, an updraft developed and I had to adjust down two full moa. At that point the wind current was moving around way too much for me to predict, so I packed up, grabbed my light weight elk rifle and hiked into another drainage. I shot two off the same rock at 631 yards, but it felt like cheating, gratifying cheating, after what I've been trying to shoot so far this year.

Attachments

• 631 yd.jpg
    631 yd.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.