Shooting through a pipe

WVGuns

Ok guys not sure this is the correct place to discuss this so forgive me if not. My question is my local range that is close and convenient makes us shoot through a section of pipe im guessing for noise reduction. Has anyone did a study or have some data how this affects accuracy, velocity etc??

Last edited:
lol. thanks man i'll remember that. I was just curious if anyone ever noticed a difference shooting through them. I haven't done enough shooting there to be sure.

Thank God my range doesn't have that....I'd tell them to get bent, and go find another range where I didn't have to be subjected to such exorbitant rules. :D

Problem is i belong to a shooting club that has a 400 yard range which is great no pipes to shoot through. Problem there lies in its over an hour away. Not many choices in my area. This particular range is close and nice to "tweek" on until i can get more time to go to the other.

Sounds like another good reason to legalize suppressors. They are a pipe in their own way.

This is standard practice at Swiss shooting ranges. Everyone there has to do military service and has to show up for shooting practice with their military issue long gun. Particularly for weapons with brakes or flash hiders on them, it kelps keep the sound level down. The swiss has round ones probably 18" in diameter and lined with damping material and they also have triangular ones where each of the 3 sections seems prefabricated and they just fasten together.

What is the diameter of this "pipe" ? Provided it is not too small, it should have no effect.

IMGP0368.jpg

IMGP0365.jpg

IMGP0371.jpg

All the above copied off this forum The Firing Line Forums - View Single Post - Need 50 cal rifle noise reduction device.

Ok guys not sure this is the correct place to discuss this so forgive me if not. My question is my local range that is close and convenient makes us shoot through a section of pipe im guessing for noise reduction. Has anyone did a study or have some data how this affects accuracy, velocity etc??

Sounds like another good reason to legalize suppressors. They are a pipe in their own way.

Absolutely, legal and readily available would be great! Some ranges are going to have to compromise to stay open. Noise is always an issue, although here when complaints were followed up on they were generally bogus. A stray round getting out is every bodies nightmare, are these pipes capable of stopping a bullet fro leaving the property.

Absolutely, legal and readily available would be great! Some ranges are going to have to compromise to stay open. Noise is always an issue, although here when complaints were followed up on they were generally bogus. A stray round getting out is every bodies nightmare, are these pipes capable of stopping a bullet fro leaving the property.

"Readily available" and "suppressors" is kind of hand-in-mouth... A suppressor will only ge readily available to you once you have finalized your Form 4 paperwork, have gotten approved & your stamp back, and have picked up your suppressor from your Class III dealer after final paperwork.

I wish it were a quicker and easier process. Plus, they are expensive, which is why I haven't bought one yet.

Westcliffe thanks for posting up those pics. Without taking a tape measure over i would guess 16-20 inches. I'm gonna do some research of my own next time i go over. I chatted with a couple of friends tonight who really got their s#@t together when it comes to this precision shooting. I think im gonna take their advice along with what you guys are telling me and conduct a lil test of my own to see what happens. Keep the info coming guys i appreciate the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.