Shooting Prone

Shrike

Hello everyone! Just joined this forum and have been reading it for a few hours now.

I recently got a Harris bipod for my Savage M110 .270 Win. I am anxious to get to the range to start using it. I'll be shooting prone since it is a short model bipod. I've layed down with it at home a few times and it seems like shooting lying down will hurt my shoulder. I looked up a few websites on shooting prone and how to set up your position properly to refresh my memory on the proper positioning and still, the recoil pad feels uncomfortable on my shoulder. Any suggestions? I havn't gone to the range yet.

I also want to start dry fire practicing; which I really have never done. Is dry firing bad for my bolt action rifle? There are mixed opinions on the internet.

P.S. I'm using a standard stock, not a tactical "sniper" stock.

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Shrike ]

i had the same problem. so i got the br pivot shooting rest.only thing wrong with it is it cost 600.00 or so after shipping but it is great.if you can get a car to where you will be shooting.will only work for target shooting.what i do when im to lazy to get the br pivot out is shoot of off the roof of my car.i use one on the seats that folds up and has a zipper for you lunch in a pocket.the legs kind of look like an x when you open it up.i put a jacket in the lunch box part for padding.i can shoot under 6 inch groups at 785 yards doing it that way.it sounds crazy but it works.

Shrike,
Basicly you have two choices for how to lay behind a bipod rifle. The first is just like if you were using a sling. Your Left elbow, shoulder, hip and leg ar all in line. Your right elbow and right hip form the other two "hard points" of the triangle. Your right leg is pulled up almost to your knee to provide support for your hips. Your body in its natural point of aim will be laying at the 7 - 8 o'clock position depending on where you put your right elbow. This is a tried and true position for shooting with a sling and also works well for a bipod but instead of using the point of your elbow, you flatten your arms out and use your Left hand to grasp the rear of the stock and/or your sand bag.

The other position is directly behind the gun flat on your belly toes pointing out. Your elbows and arms are also pretty flat on the deck. This position is prefered for sniper types as the body is totaly flat and there is no shoulder hump to give you away and requires less movement to get into.

The best advice for bipod shooting is to get a sand sock, or sand bag for the rear. Then pull the stock hard into your shoulder with the Left hand. The right hand should be just resting on the stock.

OBTW on a hunting stock you may find it necessary to install another sling swivel closer to the trigger where the stock is stiffer. Sometimes a bipod will destroy accuracy when mounted in the original swivel stud.

Hope this helps, Cheers
cool.gif

invest in a good recoil pad , I'm thinking that you worried about the stock hitting your clavical bone which has zero padding
The first position listed above which is standard prone is much better for hard kicking rifles as it lets the front delt muscle suck up the recoil.

Thanks for all your help. I have had good luck shooting prone thanks to all your good comments. Talk to you all soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts