Shooting my Lyman Plains Pistol

FrontierGander

Sat down with the Lyman Plains pistol .54cal today and first start with 40gr 2fg Gearhart-Owen black powder, .020" spit patch, .530 round ball. They loaded nicely without having to hammer them down the bore. Looks like I will need to tap the sight over to the right a bit to center it. 40gr 2fg grouped ok, but then I lowered it to 30gr 2fg and it REALLY came together and shot very well. Next, I'll try 3fg and see how it does.
I also lapped the bore last night to smooth out any burrs that the lyman barrels are famously known to have.
Target was shot from 25 yards.

Now that's just cool! I wish I could use that in Canada but alas that would be a restricted firearm here, need a special permit to transfer between locations, even stopping for gas on your way could get you in trouble if caught. However if it was an original manufactured before 1897 then it wouldn't even require a license to purchase or use, however the powder would.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.