shooting in the heat?

oldfamily

I have been working on loads for my 257 stw, rifle likes the 100 bt and the 130 wildcat bcfb bullets. The thing is that from the heat I am having a heck of a time to get a good group from my heart beat showing up in the scope. Rifle is putting the bullet right where the crosshairs are located on the paper, just shooting in a t shirt for groups in this heat sucks. Temp is 98 or better, I may just have to wait till it cools down to work on the groups. I am getting .75 groups at 100 yards. Just that is the amount of movement that I am getting from my heartbeat. I have been shooting from a bipod and from a sight vise. I know I can get a better group when it cools down with a hunting jacket and all just wondering if there is something that I can do know that would limit my heart beat from showing up in the scope. Might just have to sand bag the rifle down just don't like to shoot from sand bags and hunt with a bipod. would sand bagging the rear of the rifle and having the bipod rest on the bipod limit the movement. I might have answered my own question. Thanks oldfamily.

Oldfamily,

Yep, you talked youself into the solution.....

Method one w/bipod: Elbows solidly placed on the ground abd pull straight back firmly w/the trigger handturns out to be fairly good.

Method two w/bipod: construct a beanie bag, from the beads/stuffing of beanie babies, (found @ craft/Wally World/K-Mart stores). Put this under the butt stock and squeeze with non-trigger hand for elevation adjustments.

Works much much better for me than method one or most other methods.

I hook my beanie bag to my belt loop w/caribiner(?) thus its always handy and its lighter than sand and doesn't swell like rice should it get wet.

A lot of people use an old sock. I chose a small stuff bag found in the area of camping equipment at Sportmans or some such place.

Good luck seems like you're on the proper path to a successful hunt.

Oldfamily ,

I'm pretty much in the same boat -i've given up on load developement due to the heat.
I thought about getting a lead sled type deal w/a little hydralic trigger puller.Lord knows i've got more stuff than i can move when i head west.
It's irritating to watch your heartbeat pound the X-hair around here in Florida.
Anyway load developement is a huge waste of time w/o a rock solid rest.
I'll wait until cooler weather myself.

I live in SC and it is hot and humid. I built a "shooting shed" that is 12'X 12' and put a good fan in it and it sure helps cool me and the gun off. I was also able to build a super sturdy shooting bench that is tied into the shed. It works great and sure beats shooting in the sun.

California A zone opens early August & runs till late September.
I do my load work in July & 90F-100F is required.
100F-110F is common in August.
I know "It's a dry heat". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I thought I was hanging out with a bunch of hardcore critter killers.
What heart beat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DK

Maybe it's a combination of enthusiasm and heat deerkiller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ,i hope i ain't getting soft.Maybe i'll start back . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beats 100 degrees with wet heat, I am sad to say. What shooting I am doing now is EARLY in the morning, I tried shooting last Thursday Afternoon & my stick became a sweat pole.

buncha weanies... its 106 at the moment, 68% RH and im doing load development! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Heading up the hill right now as a matter of fact.

[ QUOTE ]
buncha weanies... its 106 at the moment, 68% RH and im doing load development! Heading up the hill right now as a matter of fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just waiting for someone else to step in first, but ditto on that!!!

abinok, BB
You Ok. boys are my idols /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm sitting in the basement turning necks and trying to convince myself that I don't need a 7mm AM (not going so well). Just don't like the heat and humidity.

Chris

I can relate to that, being 30 miles from the gulf and not that far from the bay system we have pleanty of humidity to go around.

Last Friday we were shooting it was 97 degrees and raining on us, while the sun shown down from around the sides of the rain clouds. Man talk about fun.....ye haaa

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buncha weanies... its 106 at the moment, 68% RH and im doing load development! Heading up the hill right now as a matter of fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just waiting for someone else to step in first, but ditto on that!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure since ive got the range this close... I can set up the bench equipment, and do the loading at the house drive back down to the house, load, cool off a bit, drink a glass of tea, and run back up the hill to shoot them. I can suck it up for the 15-20 minutes it takes to run up and shoot 10 rounds or so. Ive been using an ez up lately as well. Even as chubby as I am, I barely sweat after ive finished a string and crawled back in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive been doing my ladders at night lately, between 1 and 4 am. With the baro the way its been lately, the conditions at night are just AWESOME!!! Completly flat wind condition. Thats how both of the testing groups I emailed you were produced. Ive got the big target set up at 1575 at the moment. Well have to see if the conditions will hold on through the cold front thats coming this weekend, but hopefully mon or tues night ill have some more targets the other side of transonic!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm a new guy here, just wanted to say hi. Good to see some boys from Oklahoma! AB, I envy you much, I just got through mowing the dang grass. Only wish I was loading and shooting. Heading off to bed, night shift sucks! You guys have a good'n.
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.