Shooting benches

G

Anyone have a good source for a good shooting bench that is portable and somewhat stable?

Maybe lookin to get one for my weekend in PA.

I'm not against building one if I had some good plans

Joe

I tried forever LL to buy one the way I wanted it and it couldn't be done. If it's portable it will move on you. We have steel benches set up now. No movement whatsoever. We did have wood but a couple got stolen so now the steel is so heavy a wood be thief doesn't want to throw his back out. The sad/great thing is we almost have an old runway leased which would enable us to have some 1400 yds so we will have to move these beasts.

Lablover: Jim Berfield 570-748-2055 in Lochaven, PA builds and sells portable shooting tables. He makes the ones with extendable legs so you can either stand or sit. And he makes a dandy adjustable rest that he incorportates into the table. I really like mine and it is very stable. Only bad thing is that he makes them one at a time and that means you cannot just get one tomorrow unless he happens to have one a customer stuck him with. If you would happen to get one from him, PM me as I have one modification suggestion. Sam.

Try gunbenches.com I just bought 1 and it is very portable and OK for stability. I think the design could use some improvement, but it is better than some. Also do a search for booger bench as there are some plans on the internet for a simple build your own. I also made one of these and it is decent.

There is a thread at predatormasters.com about portable benches that has some good ideas.

I built a steel one. 3/8 thick plate, 36 inches wide 48 inches tall with cut out for a right handed shooter. It has folding legs which is "c" channel 1/4 thick 1.5 leg by 3 inches wide. Very stable, in fact it weighs around 400 lbs. Not to portable as it takes two rather stocky guys to move it. I used headliner spray and glued some outdoor carpet on it.
I now need a trailer to carry it, I've been using my truck but like I said need to guys to mvoe the sucker.
If I were to build another one I think i would use Aluminum as the table top maybe an inch thick and steel legs be a bit more portable but not so heavy.
You can see a partial view of it in this picture Shooting bench

Sorry lablover.
I was going to get you some dimensions for my bench as you requested but my source is deciding whether or not to release them to the general public or gear up to retail them. Until then, you will have to look at the pics already on here and use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

It wouldn't really help you to have my dimensions anyways because my bench was a custom order built to keep the MOAG out of the dirt. It is way too big for just a regular gun. You should probably scale this bench down if you have plans of getting it out of the truck by yourself! I can just barely get mine into the truck alone but I am young and in good shape. There will come a day when I go to lift it in and some organ will venture into some new territory where it doesn't belong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There will come a day when I go to lift it in and some organ will venture into some new territory where it doesn't belong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

classic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There will come a day when I go to lift it in and some organ will venture into some new territory where it doesn't belong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When the bench weighs as much as you do, having that happen is definately a possibility! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a good source for a good shooting bench that is portable and somewhat stable?
Maybe lookin to get one for my weekend in PA.
I'm not against building one if I had some good plans

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go to St. Vinnies and get an old card table. Then get two rolls (the big ones) of duct tape. You are going to need a friend and a big metal spoon for the next part.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I have pictures of the bottom of Goodgroupers table waiting to be developed. If I can find them I will post a few to give you an idea of how it was put together.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.