Shooting Bench Design- I Need A Good One ?

Down Under Hunter

Howdy all,

Just wanting to build a well priced solid shooting bench that is portable. Could someone show me a design that they have been happy with that meets the above requirements ? Also needing a good lead sled or 2 point shooting rest. Which one would you suggest ??

Cheers

DUH

I don't know if it would help you out but I have a shooting table I built for prarie dogs that cost me about $30 and a couple of hours of work I have some pictures somewhere but all it consists of is;

Set of fold up legs (buy them or just swipe them off a broke table)
2' x 4' 1/2" piece of plywood
2" x 4" x 6'
A few screws and some cutting on the tablesaw I stained and put some poly on it. So far it has been thrown in the back of the truck and beat around and still seems to be pretty dang stable. I'll dig around for the pics if your interesed and don't mind a little sawdust. Later,

Kirk

I don't know if it would help you out but I have a shooting table I built for prarie dogs that cost me about $30 and a couple of hours of work I have some pictures somewhere but all it consists of is;

Set of fold up legs (buy them or just swipe them off a broke table)
2' x 4' 1/2" piece of plywood
2" x 4" x 6'
A few screws and some cutting on the tablesaw I stained and put some poly on it. So far it has been thrown in the back of the truck and beat around and still seems to be pretty dang stable. I'll dig around for the pics if your interesed and don't mind a little sawdust. Later,

Kirk

Kirk,

Would love to see it !! Thanks

DUH

I tried a bunch of different ideas and finally decided on the following.

I bought a Stanley Fat Max saw horse (collapsible and has telescoping legs). ($35 at home depot).

We designed a top that would simply bolt-on using 2 carriage bolts and wing nuts. The top is 36"x24" with a corner removed to allow access for right handed shooters. As the brace piece is secured upward, it makes the sawhorse hinge much more rigid.

The table is incredibly stable and weighs a total of 29lb's. We didn't even finish the top, as its just the prototype. We could probably remove a couple pounds, but its very light considering how stable it is and how small it stores. It is actually more stable than the permanent bench we had been using.

It can be used from 32" height to 40" height. It can also be setup to slope up or down; or be setup to be level on a side hill. If anyone wants more detailed measurements, let me know what you need and I'll measure it up for you.

It breaks down and hauls easily. The top is shown with the brace piece mounted in its storage position.
2pieces.jpg

32" height
32inchheight.jpg

40" height
40inchheight.jpg

Setup for shooting on an angle
shootingonaslope.jpg

Closeup of mounting
closeupofpieces.jpg

Closeup2 of mounting
Closeup2.jpg

Hope that helps,
AJ

Last edited:
To all ,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to help out. There are some really good ideas, and some great pics to assist with putting it together.

My hats off to you all again !

Thanks boys

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.