Discussion in 'Technical Articles - Discussion' started by ADMIN, Aug 11, 2008.

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

This is the thread for discussion of the article: Shooting a 223 to a Mile Accurately By Jerry Teo

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Really well done and well written. As is said, the proof is in the puddin'

Questions: F(TR) - whatzat stand for:confused:

Problem: Couldn't find the Youtube link? I went over to Utube & found it, I think.;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008

3. su37

su37 Well-Known Member

Good, very interesting article.

Thank you,

4. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Great to see what you can do with some straight forward gear. Obviuosly the nut behind the butt has a bit to do with it to.

Stu.

5. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Enjoyed the article.
    It is amazing what one can do if you are willing to try and at the same time willing to fail.
    There will always be the disbelievers-I'm glad you didn't let their words cause you to not attempt it.

6. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Great article! Informative and entertaining! Someone direct me to the video?

7. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Roy (f) TR stands for F-class Target Rifle as opposed to (f) open. It is limited to 223 rem and 308 win chamberings, it also has a weight limit of 17lbs I think and must be fired from a bipod. In F-open you can shoot anything so long as it is under 22 lbs and doesnt have a muzzle brake. There are some rest restrictions for f-open.

8. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the article, a lot. I have been experimenting with a 7 twist 223 and the 90gr bergers and SMKs with limited sucess. I was planning on using it in F-TR but cant get groups better than MOA at 600 even though it shoots bugholes at 100. I think that a little more velocity is called for with these bullets, but am unsure. I am going to try some RL 17 when I find some. Hopefully that will wake it up. I would back down to the 80s but I throated it very long for the 90 gr. bullets. If the Rl 17 doesnt work I guess I will have to set the barrel back a bit.

9. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

The limits are 8.25 kg and 10.0 kg, translating to U.S. lbs as approx. 18.15 lbs (~18lb 3 oz), and 22 lbs. You can use bipod and/or sling for F/TR.

10. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

Jerry,

Interesting article! Due to scope issues with the 6 Dasher, my wife ended up shooting a .223 Rem @ Chilliwack for the BCRA match. 80gr Bergers over RE-15, worked just fine out to 600m. She stayed home from Portland, but I tested the gun @ 800, 900, & 1000yds - and exercised a new target puller in the process ;) It held elevation well - surprising, as DR is kind of treacherous in that regard, but it did get punted about in the wind a bit more than we expected (being used to normally running B155 VLDs @ 2960-3080 or so).

I think with a 30" tube and maybe running the Berger or JLK 90gr VLDs stateside it could hold some promise for 1k F/TR. As is... after watching some Canadians running .223 Rem these past two years @ BCRA, I sure wouldn't bet against 'em @ 600m and in!

11. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Thanks Milanuk, I do not shoot FTR...yet and my gun is more of a sporter weight so I havent had to worry with the weight restriction, but I came pretty close off the top of my head:). I did preface it with "I think" because I couldnt remember.

12. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I enjoyed the article very much. Frustrations did not stop you, that alone is a great lesson of perseverance.

Great writing and shooting!

Thanks for sharing.

13. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

14. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I expected Jerry to be much older than that; I'm surprised! :confused:

That's a big smile that I would also have if I was hitting them rocks a mile away with a little 223! :D

[​IMG]