Shootin' steel

G

Shootin\' steel

I just ran across a web site that sells steel targets at a reasonable price. Does anyone have experience with this company? I haven't contacted him yet, thought I might get this site's blessings first. How close could I shoot .375" 500 Brindel steel with a .308 with 175G. Sierra Matchkings at 2700FPS? Thanks guys! http://www.themetalman.com/targetindex.html

Re: Shootin\' steel

Hi, do a search with my member number and look at the pictures I posted of shots on T1 steel. Brinnell is tougher than T1 which is actually tank armor from ww2.

I would try your load at 300 and bring it back to as close as 100 yards.

Safety first. Be cautious of bullet splatter coming back toward you.

I've shot plenty of 3/8th inch 500 Brinnel targets steel at 220 yards (closest) with the 308. At that range the bullets just spatter onto the ground and all that happens to the target is the paint gets blown off.

I have shot these at 100 yards with the 308, 50 yards with a 223 with no damage, except where I hit the very edge of the steel with the 308 - that edge just got rounded off. The auto popper that I bought had been shot for a week by pistols at a 3-gun match - only damage was to the paint. The owner of the company will back his products up 100% - but they are good enough that he usually doesn't need to. Also, his prices include shipping, so that is why his prices are higher. Check out the flash target and the precision rifle target - they are a blast to shoot. You can see the auto popper in this thread - http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000369 - I just made the base for it - for less than $15

[ 04-20-2004: Message edited by: gonehuntingagain ]

Imagine a L-shaped piece of steel, now cut it at the corner. Weld on a pair "ears" to the top of the base and on the back of the part that is standing - make them such that you can run a bolt through them. Now, find a spring that is the type that looks like a pig's tail - such that the bolt will fit through it. The ends of the spring should have a short straight length at each end, so that it looks like a "O_". Put a little pre-load on the spring when you install it to hold the target face up. The spring doesn't have to be super strong either.
Hopefully I have explained this clear enough for you to get mental picture. If I had a digital camera here, I would take a picture.

I saw your popper and after reading your description I am wondering if we were looking at the same thing. Holy crap dude.

First you weld this "L" shaped thing to a pig tail and leave enough of the pig to lift your face. Next put a bolt through the spring and leave it there all week untill the pepper pops up quickly.

OH MY GOSH. I am so stinking funny. I'm sitting here thinking about how mad
mad.gif
you are at me right now.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Be nice or I won't let you borrow the wifes digital camera.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts