Shoot with Gloves ON... My Experience

Gloves and shooting...

A year hunting with gloves on while 35 feet up in a tree. The gloves were the leather work type gloves. The ones that are a 1/2 inch linger than your fingers. My rifle was a Remington model 7 in 308. The trigger is crisply set at 1 pound. I had my rifle hanging on a peg until ready to unload and lower to the ground with a cord. This particular model 7 requires the safety be taken off to open the bolt. I had hold of the rifle around the pistol grip (stock swell). Unknown to me was the tip of the glove. When I flipped the safety off the rifle went boom. I had the muzzle was pointed up and the nothing was hurt except my ears and my underwear. I though I would share this experience because it could have been a disaster. I am a firm believer that gloves can be potentially dangerous.
Rustystud

I had the muzzle was pointed up and the nothing was hurt except my ears and my underwear. I though I would share this experience because it could have been a disaster. I am a firm believer that gloves can be potentially dangerous.
Rustystud

I had the same thing happen to me except with a Mauser and I was in the basement. Ruined a good window and my wife's skivvies.

I hunt and shoot with gloves on almost always when it's cold. I use a rag wool glove that you can get in most hardware stores and they will keep your fingers pretty warm even when wet. I shoot a pre 64 model 70 and it has a heavy trigger pull but with practices I got where I could shoot well with gloves on. My new rifle will have a 3 pound pull so I don't think having gloves on will be a good idea with it. Living and working around the place here during the winter one is always wearing gloves so you get quite comfortable with them but I can see where an accident could happen if you didn't wear them often.

After a few years now of hunting and deploying in sometimes extremely cold weather some of the best gloves I have used are the cheap rag wool gloves with a thinsulate lining that have the flip back tops. Keep your fingers hidden away inside and snake your trigger finger out when it is time to shoot. This winter I switched to the Cabelas mits that have the zipper that run down you index finger and come with a liner. They are pretty good as well. Wear the liner when you are moving around or if it's not that cold and put the mits on when you go stationary.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.