Shoot or don't shoot

jr1966

Seeking "expert" opinions on whether to shoot a pistol my son won. I am not a collector of expensive or collectable firearms, but 12 years ago my son won a Barretta 40 cal at a friends of the NRA banguet. It's one of those nice logo'd gold inlaid pistols, wood display case, number x of xxx. He's asked many time to go out and shoot it, but not being sure of possible value, being one of these types of guns, I never have. But lately, been thinkin what the hell, lets go shoot it. Seeking opinions of those who know a lot more about this type of stuff, should we go shoot the hell out of it like my other guns, or should we keep it in the safe for possible future value for him?

IMHO I would not have a gun I would not shoot.It might lose some collector value but the enjoyment of shooting with my son would more than make up for it.One of my goals is to introduce as many young people to the joys of shooting and reloading as I can.Years from now it will be remembered as the pistol that Dad and I shot,not as the pistol I won.

I'd shoot it. Given the war on firearms ownership, in ten years you might not be able to show it to anyone much less sell it. Build the memories they're tougher to take away.

Thanks all for the input....lately thats been my feeling...guess were off to the range in the near future.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.