Shoot and Shovel

alaska

Shoot and Shovel

Very hard on moose population here in Alaska

And they leave most of what they kill to waste.........they just kill!

You forgot the third S. SHOOT, SHOVEL & SHUT UP. They taught me that back in the 90's hunting elk in Montana.

Last edited:
I love to see the wolfs back in the lower 48 but the damage they cause to livestock and elk heards is not worth it. Even here in Alaska some places I use to hunt are worthless after wolf packs went thru.

Now Hybrids are a problem in Lower 48....just like a cancer has to be cut out.
About as bad as wild hogs.

I don't know about you, but I'm selling the pelts here in Alaska. they will bring from $150.00 to $400.00 depending on quality. Now if it's out of season, OK follow the three S,s Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up. But Wolf Trapping season is in full swing right now. In Methods and Means, one of the ways to take wolves under a trapping license is to shoot them. A 25-06 is needed to anchor them, leave the .17s, and .223s, and 243s at home. It's an easy way to pay for that new long range rifle, with a calibrated scope.

I don't know about you, but I'm selling the pelts here in Alaska. they will bring from $150.00 to $400.00 depending on quality. Now if it's out of season, OK follow the three S,s Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up. But Wolf Trapping season is in full swing right now. In Methods and Means, one of the ways to take wolves under a trapping license is to shoot them. A 25-06 is needed to anchor them, leave the .17s, and .223s, and 243s at home. It's an easy way to pay for that new long range rifle, with a calibrated scope.

I am not trying to start a fight here and do agree that the 17 is not good wolf medicine and the 223 is marginal past 200 yards, but have you checked the ballistics on a 243 vs a 25-06 with similar projectile weight? The 243 is badazz wolf medicine, how many thousands of big game animals are killed by a 243 every year. Most deer weigh double the weight of a wolf.
On another note Montana Seasons for trapping and hunting are closed as of 2-28-13. I believe that most Idaho hunting areas are open still.
I have noticed a lot of wolf activity in the last two weeks here just nort of Yellowstone park. Oh and the elk numbers of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd are down from last years record low elk population numbers. To top it off Montana fish and game is doing a huge study to figure out why the drought is killing all of the moose in the area!

the yellowstone wolves have contracted parvo
& the gov is tagging breeding females to find the den & vacinate the pups
the rest of the wildlife in Yellowstone is "Nature"
survival of the fittest , ect........but not the preciuos wolves no no ....
thats because it has never been about the wolves or the wildlife
its about controling America
see CRY WOLF movie

the yellowstone wolves have contracted parvo
& the gov is tagging breeding females to find the den & vacinate the pups
the rest of the wildlife in Yellowstone is "Nature"
survival of the fittest , ect........but not the preciuos wolves no no ....
thats because it has never been about the wolves or the wildlife
its about controling America
see CRY WOLF movie

YNP is also doing a mange study with a feeding station within a mile of their north border near Gardiner. Hmm I wonder what there is to study? Sounds like a feed station with some mange curing miracle road kill mutt food.
The government has a credit card with no limit and a nation of people that have to pay the bill, disgusting!

Rooster, no fight just discussion. I carried a .243 for years. I've seen Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, Black Bears, and even Brown and Grizzly Bears taken with the .243. And down there I might even try a .243 on Wolves, you guys are only lo9oking to kill one wolf.

Not so here in Alaska. The originator of this thread is also in Alaska, and the references I made were for him, and up here where our Wolves tend to be a bit bigger. Also we look to kill as many Wolves in a pack as we can. Hopefully the entire pack. Last year if you read any of the Wolf Hunting articles in most hunting magazines, you read about Coke Wallace. Coke is a guide who specializes in hunting Wolves. Coke has told me many times to leave anything smaller than a 25-06 at home. The 30-06 will do the job, but is too damaging on fur. In Cokes world the 25-06 is superior. I never claim to be an expert on shooting Wolves, but Coke is, and I will go with his recommendations.

After Coke told me to only bring my 25-06, I sat down and ran the ballistics on all the .25 bullets. The 110gr is the only .25 caliber bullet that retains over 1000 foot pounds of energy beyond 500 yards. We may start shooting at 200 to 300 yards, but by the time the shooting stops we will be shooting out to 500 if not beyond. I shoot a 110gr Nosler Accubond. In the .243 the best retention rate is the 100gr bullet, and it fizzles down to below 1000fps at 360 yards.

Rooster, no fight just discussion. I carried a .243 for years. I've seen Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, Black Bears, and even Brown and Grizzly Bears taken with the .243. And down there I might even try a .243 on Wolves, you guys are only lo9oking to kill one wolf.

Not so here in Alaska. The originator of this thread is also in Alaska, and the references I made were for him, and up here where our Wolves tend to be a bit bigger. Also we look to kill as many Wolves in a pack as we can. Hopefully the entire pack. Last year if you read any of the Wolf Hunting articles in most hunting magazines, you read about Coke Wallace. Coke is a guide who specializes in hunting Wolves. Coke has told me many times to leave anything smaller than a 25-06 at home. The 30-06 will do the job, but is too damaging on fur. In Cokes world the 25-06 is superior. I never claim to be an expert on shooting Wolves, but Coke is, and I will go with his recommendations.

After Coke told me to only bring my 25-06, I sat down and ran the ballistics on all the .25 bullets. The 110gr is the only .25 caliber bullet that retains over 1000 foot pounds of energy beyond 500 yards. We may start shooting at 200 to 300 yards, but by the time the shooting stops we will be shooting out to 500 if not beyond. I shoot a 110gr Nosler Accubond. In the .243 the best retention rate is the 100gr bullet, and it fizzles down to below 1000fps at 360 yards.

Not so much on the fact of only killing one wolf, it is the same game here. What do your wolves weigh? Everyone I have been around is 75- 98 pounds for males on average and females are about 10-15 pounds less.
The berger .257 115gr bullet is by far ballistic superior to The AB, and work on wolves. The .243 heavy weight bullets that are over 100 grains (sierra berger and hornady) are ballisticly superior to the .257 bullets.

I make these statements as a past diehard 25-06 fan that got sick of having one bullet to shoot. I want a low recoil rifle with a very efficient projectile.
Happy hunting

you guys kill me with the SSS. i have shot over 250 coyotes; I would LOVE to shoot "A WOLF" or some wolves. i want to shoot when their pelt is prime ( dec , jan or feb). i have money to go on a hunt, just not sure where i would have the best chance of scoring. Sourdough- i have a 6.5-284 ( it was a 25-06 i had a krieger put one it) that is close to a 25-06 . it has a 429 yard coyote notch. maybe i can get a hold of Coke Wallce and get a hunt scheduled. .... if idaho, wyo or montana opened their season on jan 1 , i would have already gone. roninflag

The originator of this thread is also in Alaska, and the references I made were for him, and up here where our Wolves tend to be a bit bigger.

I am still curious as to how big your wolves are, Canadian and Alaskan wolves, for that matter from anybody's expirience. Sourdough, you said you use their fur, if I am correctly recalling that you stated in this thread, and I was wondering if you had weighed any of yours?
Happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.