Shocking Results!

Funny...I have 2 doctorate degrees as well. Interesting how similiar personalities gravitate towards the same madness!

I fuss as well, but my goals and environment are different. If your goals are itty bitty bugholes on paper, then fuss/worry away. In long range hunting, the goal is generally a quick clean kill at long range. This "measure of success" encompasses a lot more than just "perfect" ammo.

Heikki where do you teach? I went to the University of Guelph in Ontario.

heikki,
I appreciate your comments, and we all do brass prep to one extent or another. The individual needs to decide how far he wants to take it, and if it benefits him in anyway. Congrats on winning the Nationals. That is an accomplishment in whatever endeaver done in.

Well just for fun I went a checked on a mixed bag of once fired Lapua .308 brass. This is from 5 different types of factory ammo that I was testing. Of the 74 I checked 71 weighed in from 172.8gr up to 173.9gr. Three were at 171.9. Couldn't check the rest I have as they are all loaded up. Not bad for so many different lots.

If we are not too tired and we haven't worn out our scale weighing all that brass, we can have some more fun weighing bullets. It is just about the same amount of fun. It also has about the same amount of validity. On a weight basis I reject about 1% of Sierra MKs. However, I do not have a junkie machine to tell which ones are junk. Some bullets will have the correct weight but are not properly distributed.

Not to beat a dead horse here but this guy just set a 1000 yard record...with ZERO brass prep. Doesn't even know the load's velocity! Just primes, powder and seats a bullet in Norma brass. I'd be ****ed (fussy) if I spent 50 hours reloading 50 shells and then got beat by this guy! I'm sure he put his time in, he just did it where it counts!

Ken Brucklacher Sets 1000-Yard Score Record: 100-8X « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

Not to beat a dead horse here but this guy just set a 1000 yard record...with ZERO brass prep. Doesn't even know the load's velocity! Just primes, powder and seats a bullet in Norma brass. I'd be ****ed (fussy) if I spent 50 hours reloading 50 shells and then got beat by this guy! I'm sure he put his time in, he just did it where it counts!

Ken Brucklacher Sets 1000-Yard Score Record: 100-8X « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
That's not uncommon,I know a world record benchrest shooter(Tom Sarver) that stopped weighing and sorting brass a long time ago.He said after several years of competitive shooting and reloading,he has come to the conclusion that it is a total waste of time.He said all he does is keep track of his brass,after firing exceptionally good groups,keep those pieces together.He told me he use to spend so much time weighing and sorting,that only God himself could have made a better group of brass,but the results showed no improvement on paper.I really do believe you just have to fire them to see how they perform,but to each their own.

Don Geraci never weighs cases, and he has set as many world records and has more BR HOF points than just about anyone. I can't say that it does not help, but feel that brassprep is sort of a personal thing. Just do what makes you feel good.
As far as needing to be a little crazy to chase ultimate accuracy......if your not crazy when you start, you will be by the time you get there. I find the minutia to be minute. I do not sweat the small stuff, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing whatever you can.
I hope the original poster did not feel that anyone was bashing him. I did not see it that way and hope that he will continue to post. It is often hard to understand the tone of the hastily written word. I always assume the best and le it go. My skin is getting a little thicker as I age.

I agree with Eddybo,if weighing and sorting your brass makes you more confident,then do it.Afterall,being confident play's a big part in accuracy.

I didn't mean to ****ed anybody off with what I wrote, but it is hard to see personality, tone of voice etc on these blogs.

Way I see it though, if Heikki can't take somebody challenging his ideas in public forum without crying and running away...not much of a personality. Probably not a hunter either.

He sure was quick to throw in the college degrees and national championships

Hey guys, no hard feelings. Like I said, to each his own. I havn't replied in a bit, I've been stuck in the seeder. 3000 more acres to go...

I've hunted all my life. Everything I know I've learned from my amazing Dad. He's my best friend and my only hunting partner. I've taken deer with buckshot in a 12 gauge, with a compound bow, with a cross bow (an Excalibur!!! Best there is and made in Canada!), and a miriad of rifles. I loved the comment about confidence. Shooting well, with equipment you trust, leads to confidence. I am an extremly ethical hunter, and 330yards is a far shot, but I was confident because with that rifle I could consistently hit a 6 inch target at 500yards. I knew the rifle, I prepped and loaded the brass, and knew given the conditions I could make the shot. Last year I was fortunate enough to take two whitetails. One in Ontario with a bow, and one in Saskatchewan with a rifle. Here are a couple pics of my 08 hunt.

Saskatchewan Whitetail - 30-06 - 330yards
2007deer2.jpg

Ontario Whitetail - Browning Mirage - 9yards
2007deer1.jpg
http://kyleherranen.com/204pics/2007deer1.jpg

While I am new to this board, I certainly am not new to reloading nor to shooting and competing at long range, so I have about two cents worth of comments and observations. Take them for what they cost you and "your milage may vary" and no insects or other crawkling things were injured or kilt in the making of this post.

My first civilian experiance with long range shooting and reloading started with BPCR Silhouette in 1998. BPCR stands for "Black Powder Cartridge Rifle" these are the old buffalo guns of the period of 1870 to around 1915 or so. In reloading these old rifles there are many problems needing to be dealt with that smokeless powder shooters never deal with.

Case preperation can be just as big of a problem as any form of shooting, maybe worse. there is always after all that terrible fouling that must be dealt with. When I first started shooting BPCR I didn't really have a clue, but man did I learn quick. Building a load for a rifle that will be shot at typical Silhouette ranges of 200 meters --- 300 meters --- 385 meters-- and 500 meters and has a trajectory of a rainbow can try your patience. My come ups from the Chickens the 200 meter target to the Rams the 500 meter target is 67 Points or MOA.

In the begining I tried just about every reloading technique and trick I could come up with. I weighed and sorted brass till I was blue in the face, I sorted and sifted powder to remove the fines. Only shot bullets that weighed within + or - .2 tenths of a grain. I tested every primer known to man and even for a small amount of time weighed them as well. My scores did reflect improvement but still not what I was looking for.

What I found after doing the "PERFECTION RELOADING" thing for awhile that what really worked and I mean really worked was shooting and I mean a lot of shooting. When I finally got serious I was shooting 3 times a week and a match every weekend. All I did for a period of a year was cast bullets, load, drive and shoot. Some of those weekend matches were a 1,000 mile drive one way. I was shooting a Custom Built Meacham 1885 Highwall in 45-90 caliber with the best MVA Vernier Tang Mounted Soule sight I could afford. This site had a total of 44 MOA windage, and on the Rams one year at Raton in the National shoot I used almost every bit of that. In my first 32 matches that year my Ram count ( the 500 meter target) with Iron sights was 319 out of a possible 320. I am not a gifted or talented shooter, for me it has always been work and hard work. Trigger time, Trigger Time and then some more Trigger Time is just maybe the very best thing in the world for a shooter.

RS

P.S. And I guess to stay on the subject of this post. I only shot Winchester Brass I always found it to be without a doubt the most consistant. And the case capacity of Winchester brass is at least in the 45-90, two grains more than any other Brass.

target__Small_.JPG

I shot this target on the 1,000 yd range at the Whitting Center. Rifle was a
Cody Ballard in 45-100 Caliber with Iron sights, and there are 15 shots in this group

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.