Shipping Powder Loophole?

c-ne-elk

We all know that you have to be a registered hazzardous shipper to ship smokeless powder and that pretty much screws us from trading powders with each other unless it is face to face.

BUT, it is legal to ship small arms ammunition.

I also know the way most blackpowder hunters that travel on an airplane get around taking it with them is putting their black powder in a shotgun shell. It IS legal to take blackpower (not true blackpowder but stuff like Pyrodex) in a loaded cartrdige.

So, does anyone know why it would not be legal to UPS/mail smokeless powder stuffed into shotgun shells? Would not take a lot of 12 gauge shotgun shells loaded up with powder to make a pound. When it got to your end you could open the shells and dump the powder out.

First, it's not legal to mail, (USPS), ammo. It is in fact a felony.

Second, yes it's legal to ship ammo via UPS, for now. People start trying to find "loopholes" to ship powder and they'll put an end to that too.

Third, your "loophole" of putting powder in shotgun shells and shipping them as "small arms" is more illegal than just shipping it in it's original container. All you're doing is CONCEALING a hazardous material in containers that appear to be legal. Might just as well put it in empty peanut tins..........not worth loosing my guns and/or freedom.

How is this "concealing" a hazzardous material? How is it different than shipping a regular shotgun shell which has smokeless powder in it?

A shotgun shell consist's of a hull, a primer,powder, wad and shot. Together these components make a loaded shot shell designed to be fired from a shotgun, IE, small arms ammunition. Simply filling a shotgun hull full of powder does not make it ammunition. All you're doing is moving from one container to another.

I could not agree any more strongly. Imagine explaining your "loophole" in court. Bet you would not get a lot of sympathy. Not worth it.

You might want to read the original post at a little closer. I was not saying that it was a loophole, I was asking a question.

Elsewhere on this forum was/is a discussion regarding people shipping powder to each other in rifle cartridges then pulling the bullets to obtain the powder.

And i never meant it would be a hull just stuffed with powder. A primed hull with powder with a flat cardboard wad like used in a popper load. Popper loads do not have shot in them from the factory and are shipped as ord.

I have plenty of powder and primers to see me thru the crazy time we are going through but there are others that are not so lucky.

Yes this make work but why? When you expose the powder like this it oxidizes reducing effectiveness. And further this law was designed to protect people from the ignorance and or the stupidity of others. Why tempt fate? If it is important to ship powder go get qualified or just sell it locally. We know our rights are protected and soon the reloading rush will subside. Just be patient and please don't risk getting in trouble it's not worth it

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.