Shipping frozen meat?

2fewdaysafield

I'm going on my first traveling big game hunt!!! :)

Flying from Ct to Kansas City then driving to Wyoming with a buddy.

Plan had been that after a week of hunting we would drive back to KC and I would fly home from there.

A buddy in San Antonio suggested that if I was coming this far I stop there and hunt Doves on his lease for a few days. :)

Airline said it was OK to burn some Frequent Flier Miles to pay the change fee! :)

So after hunting Antelope, I'm going to TX to hunt Dove! :D:D:D

But now I need to figure out how to get the meat from Wyoming to Ct while I am in Tx. Can't drag it around with me for 6 days!

Can anybody advise me how to ship frozen meat from WY to Ct?

I checked on google, but couldn't seem to figure it out.

Could someone with some experience provide some advice?

Thanks!!!!

I've never done it, but know it can be done.

You might try searching processors or meat packing in Wyoming. I bet that is a common request (shipping meat home) and they can tell you the best way to do it. I am assuming Dry Ice in a cooler that is taped shut.??

Thanks SBruce!

I know it can be done. Heck! Omaha Steaks does it all the time. So it has to be "do-able".

I've got an email in to the buddy I will be hunting with to see if he can give me the name of the processor he uses. If my buddy knows the name/phone of the processor he has used in the past, then I'll contact the processor in advance and see what he says.

Just trying to "cover all the bases" so I have some kind of plan before I get there.

Want to make sure I don't find myself ready to leave Wyoming going "Ooops! What do I do now?"

I'm new to flying to places to hunt (first time was pheasant in Oklahoma this past January) so I'm trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks again for the reply!

You're Welcome,

I used to take hunters that I had guided to Indian Ice Processing in Casper WY.............I don't have the # handy though.

Good Luck

Yep, You will need to cut and wrap it. Have the meat flash freezed and put in a cooler with some block ice and mail the cooler. I wrap the cooler with duct tape like a christmas present and over night it home. Done it many times.

I used to Fedex literally tons of wild game a year, real simple and it gets there without sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Ship early in the week!

Also put a lot on airplanes, just make sure someone knows to pick it up!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.