Shims for dies to aid in headspace

Sully2

Ive seen various posts ( cant put my finger on any at present though) that says to add a shim under ( ?? forget which part??) to aid in minute adjustment.
Can someone enlighten me on this deal? Im definitely confused on it. Thanks

What problem are you trying to solve?

If you are FL sizing and the die is adjusted all the way down and you still don't have enough shoulder bump you can add a shim between the base of the case and the shell holder. I use metal foil.

What problem are you trying to solve?

If you are FL sizing and the die is adjusted all the way down and you still don't have enough shoulder bump you can add a shim between the base of the case and the shell holder. I use metal foil.

"you can add a shim between the base of the case and the shell holder."..??

You mean stuffed in the shell holder "slot" to raise the casing?

"you can add a shim between the base of the case and the shell holder."..??

I would never do that. Use the Skip Otto shims to convert F/L setting to neck only sizing with no die change. The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass.

I would never do that. Use the Skip Otto shims to convert F/L setting to neck only sizing with no die change. The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass.

And a new set for every caliber I load for! No thanks....the name here is NOT J. Paul Getty
and Im not interested in NECK sizing...Im interested in setting back the shoulder

"The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass."

Not so. The Redding "Comp" shell holders are made thicker to reduce and control the possile amount of shoulder set back.

No one needs a set for "every" cartridge he loads for, only need one set for each case head size. Even then, if they help at all they're only useful for those cases we may want to squeeze out the last few thou of possible accuracy, they sure won't make a massive accuracy difference.

Any case body contact with a FL die during use changes the case body and is NOT "neck" sizing. Some case/FL die configurations will permit neck sizing by backing the die up a bit but it's not common, especially if the loader wishes to size the full length of the necks; that's why neck dies are made. If all it took was backing FL dies out a few thou no one would buy neck dies. Not that neck sizing has any real value in factory sporting rifles anyway.

you can buy a shim kit from most of the better machine tool outlets. Look for the mill arbor shim kit. Come with everything from .001" to .06", and are not expensive, and are very accurate.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.