Shim Scope base

gunny8

Has anyone ever used the metal from a coke can to shim a base mount for long range shooting? Normally i would just buy another base, but this is a new leupold one i bought to fix the same problem. i might could take it back but if i can fix it by shimming it, i'd rather do that as long as it doesn't affect my accuracy. The question about the metal i have is about how much i should use to get additional 20 minutes out of my optics?
frown.gif

I'd much rather install Burris Signature rings with the off-set inserts than play with shims that will reduce the length of mounting screw engagement. Plus, I don't think that you will get anywhere near 20moa from a thin soda can shim. Multiple shims only worsens the problem.

Tapered bases or Burris rings with inserts would be two good ways to bring up your point of impact.

VH

thanks for the reply VH, i've been looking at the burris rings, i can't quite figure out though it the universal dove tail rings will fit on my already installed base. also, it shows you can buy inserts on an individual basis, do you think these will fit in any rings or only theirs?

Another alternative would be to install a one piece rail like Farrell makes in the 20 MOA model and bed this to the receiver. Use a Leupold PRW ring and lap them in. This is a very solid system.
db

Drags made a very good point. If you do shim up the rear base you will have two rings that are on different planes. This would require the rings to be adequately lapped to avoid scope tube distortion.
The Burris Signature rings are designed to automatically compensate for the thicker insert placed in ANY location. No lapping required.

NO, the Burris inserts can not be used in ANY rings, they are curved on the exterior side and are designed specifically for the Burris Signature rings. Check out the "Posi-align offset inserts" near the bottom of this page. http://www.burriscompany.com/rings.html

VH

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

You can buy brass shim stock at a good hardware store to use in shiming bases. You can buy up to .030 but I would'nt use any more tha .020 under the bases, after shiming with the .020 lap the scope rings. They claim that each .001 will get you about 1 moa .020 should get you about .020 moa. I guess you know to shim the back base for more elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.