Shilen sold?

I don't know...but now that you brought it up I've had the feeling something was going on there. I ordered a 22cal barrel in July. I got it Jan 11th. The first one they cut the contour wrong and 2 more barrels I had to send back because I would not accept them for reamer marks in the barrel. So maybe something is going on there.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know...but now that you brought it up I've had the feeling something was going on there. I ordered a 22cal barrel in July. I got it Jan 11th. The first one they cut the contour wrong and 2 more barrels I had to send back because I would not accept them for reamer marks in the barrel. So maybe something is going on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard from a fairly reliable source that the owner (Ed Shilen), actually fired his son (Doug Shilen) and took back operational control. Who knows, but if they are dedicated enough to fire immediate family to keep their standards up, they may be worthy of some business once they get back up to speed.

James

I ordered a .416 cal Select Match through Brownells Aug 31, 2006. Normal delivery on special order barrels is 6 to 8 wks. Brownells says 2 to 4 more weeks, making it about 20 weeks total, if I get it. I knew something was wrong. I hate to hear about the messups on Maico's barrels, because I have been using Shilen barrels preferentially for about 5 years on my customers guns, and got my first one in 1972, built for me by a friend. That barrel was incredibly accurate, and is still in my family. Rifles that I have built with Shilen barrels have all shot better than 1/2 moa, including a #4 contour in .340 Wby. I just received a .284 x 9 that I am going to really check out now.

Thanks for the heads-up. Tom

Yes, Shilen is under new ownership. Wade Hull is the new owner, and all around nice guy. Ed Shilen is still working at the company.

Ok that's good news. Wade has been Ed's right hand man for some time if I'm correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.