Shilen Barrel ?

edge

I am thinking about another rifle barrel. I can get a Shilen in Match Grade ( NOT SELECT )for $160. Does anyone have any results with these barrels?

I already have Krieger for serious work and would like something to shoot without burning up the Krieger at short range.

Thanks in advance.

edge.

My understanding after touring the factory is that the only difference is that the non match shilen barrels are not air gauged. Potentially you could end up with a real shooter. I could be way off base though.

I use to install lots of Shilen barrels, i never had one that would not shoot. The difference is like what Waffen said, if you order a super match grade, they simply air gauge 5 bbls and give you the best one. I dont like this system to pay more for somthing you may luck out getting. I stopped using Shilen barrels for mostly this reason. If you order a top grade bbl, there shouldn't be a need to grade them. In my opinon they should all be tested for quality, the barrels that dont meet the standards should not be sold. But like i said, i never had a bad barrel.

Thanks Waffen and Black Diamond 408 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since Shilen barrels are button rifled, did you lap them in or did you have your clients shoot them in?

I'll give it a try, after all it is only $160, plus my labor in chambering and crowning...which I enjoy anyway.

Thanks,

edge.

My .300 Win Mag is on a Shilen and was shot in carefully.

It shoots well, but if I had to complain, it has a spot about 1/4 to 1/3 way down the tube about 6" long that fouls noticeably more than the rest - and always has.

You can easily feel how "sticky" the patch is when you clean past there, but once you clean it it feels smooth as the rest.

Like I said though - shoots well.

Thanks everyone, I bought the barrel and hopefully will machine it and shoot it in next few weeks. I will report my results....

edge.

I have several Shilen Barrels on several of my rifles And they shoot tight groups. An excellant choise.

EDGE

Sorry I did not see your post in time to help you
but you did good.

I use a lot of SHILEN barrels And they are very good.

If you bought a stainless barrel its allready laped.

Stainless is tough to machine with out leaving some tool marks so SHILEN laps all ss barrels.

As far as getting your money,s worth I allways get the target select because of exceptance tolerances .0001 .

By doing this I get the very best barrel for very little
more.

This does not mean the other barrels are not as good only
that you are guaranteed this one is in spec.

When building a custom rifle The difference in price is not
an issue (50 or 60 bucks) to guarantee the best possible
chance of an accurate rifle.

To date the worst group from 28 of these Shilen ss target select barrels was .377 5 shots at 100yrds (7wsm), best
was .053 5 shots at 100yrds (7-08) also a .094 5 shot 100yrd
group with a 30/378 WBTHY.

With an average of .200 to 300 for all the rest you can see
why i like these barrels.

Also a plus to laped barrels is minimum break in (15 to 20shots) and fouling.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.