Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics

sdeso

I was wondering what people here thought of Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics for LR hunting! Your insights would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SHEPARD - no idea.

KALINKA - WHICH MODELS? - I went to the Russian factory thet makes the PPO sniper models and obtained samples via a friend in Moscow. Better than baseline Asian - but NOT top slot - really not much better than high-end entry level.

I tried a 5-20*50 - This is a fixed image scope (i.e the reticle is NOT image centred) and you'll NEED to pre centre in adjustable mounts. The reticle ilumination is badly designed - and when I suggested the factory look at how anther russian make tackled the subject they quickly agreed that the competition was WAY better.

Also have a 6-24*60 (moving image) - OK - but loses clarity at above 21mag. Told however the fixed 10*50 is not bad (this from my mate who uses a PR-VX3 GEN2 MILDOT. Comes down to spec's. The fixed is simple design - and when I get news that my mate is coming over this way - I'll get him to bring me one to play with.

This is TRADITIONAL OPTICS TERRITORY - High lead content glass (HEAVY) and old fashioned coatings.

I also use a PILAD 8*56 a fair amount - very simple and unchallenged design so it copes well with simple glass. But this I doubt is what you meant. I use it for closish work - bunny bashing etc.

I've seen worse - but also alot better. For serious long distance - NO WAY.

Chris in Madrid and Eaglet...I want to thank you both for your help and insight with these scopes. I am narrowing down my choices for a reasonable LR scope within my budget.

I was hoping to ask you and anyone who might have some experience with or opinion on Leatherwood Scopes in particular the HI-Lux models.

I am new to LR hunting and don't have any good gun stores in my area with a variety of med to high end scopes. When I do buy a scope it will probably be through the Internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.