shaw barrels

j_22250

E.R. Shaw produces hundreds and hundreds of barrels. Does anyone the rifle manufactures that acually use them. I was kinda sorta considering getting a barrel from them just cause of the cheaper price. Yes I know you get what u pay for, but if I can shoot at least get 3/4" inch groups outta it I'll be happy. Anyways when I called up there and asked about what kind of acurracy I should expect..... well I'm sure you know the answer. The guy mentioned that I might have shot some of their barrels before. I hope it's not remington cuz the one I got only gets in the 1-1/4'-1-1/2" range and thats on a good day.

I have never personaly used a Shaw barrel but I have installed a couple Adams & Bennit barrels that shot better than the factory barrel did and nothing was done to the action. I have looked at a bunch of barrels through a bore scope and the Shaw's , A & B's looked about the same which was very close to factory Rem barrels (not quite as good as several of the Savage varmint barrels I've seen), Douglas was a step up from both and Pac-Nor was another step up. If you just want a gun that will hold say 1 moa and you don't mind cleaning then they shoudl work find but theirs always a chance that you get a turd , even from high end barrel makers but its very rare with the upper ranks.

I'd suggest if your trying to stay on a budget then get a Pac-Nor and just have your lugs lapped for better contact

ER Shaw

Never owned one and would not mount one if given to me. Have nothing good to say about anything from the company.

For the price-service-quality-guarantee mcgowenbarrel.com hands down.

Never owned one and would not mount one if given to me. Have nothing good to say about anything from the company.

For the price-service-quality-guarantee mcgowenbarrel.com hands down.

I found this interesting because hands down the worst custom barrel I have ever owned was a McGowen, to be fair though my barrel was made in the early 70's and they could have had a substantial quality control upgrade in the last 35 years. To be honest I thought they went out of buisness a decade ago but I got on your link and found out they moved from Illinois to Montana.
UB

Ub

Eight men dealt with an owner at Montana Rifle for a period of time in which these guys refused to stop making quality barrels because the owner wanted more production at less quality. They got financial backing,took trucks to Illinois bought at Harry McGowen, took the barrel making equipment back to Montana and set up shop 12 miles away from Montana Rifle. They spent several months re-working and bringing Harry's machines back into spec. These barrels meet any quality standard that $300.$400. Hart,Kreiger,Broughton barrels at less than half the price. I can't share the process, but I can say that I have many of their barrels and everyone of those barrels are clean,precise and have a mirror finish. Scott Null the Savage Guru gives a .3 written guarantee on all of these barrels he installs and won't use anyone else's barrel unless the customer provides it. These barrels are far superior to the Barrels that Harry McGowen use to make.

Friends and I own 4 mausers and one 700 with shaw barrels: two 7x57s, a280, a 35 whelen and a 257bob(the 700). All, but the 35, shoot consistent sub inch groups with enough 1/2" groups to call them very accurate. None of these are considered particulary accurate cartridges and the buddy with the Whelen stopped load developement when he got 1.25" groups. He didn't like the recoil, so we don't realy know how good it'll shoot. I was going to order a Pac-NOr but ordered the shaw and have been more than happy. my next barrel will probably be another shaw. capt david

j,
I think Jon Sumdra (gun writer) uses them quiet a bit. I have never had any dealings with them.
Speaking of McGowan Barrels, my Dad sent them his .243 Browning BLR and had them re-barrel it about 10-15 yrs ago. My Dad had them install a 26" Douglas barrel, at least that's what he told me. It shot very well when he first got it back. I have it now, but don't shoot it as much as I do my bolt rifles. JohnnyK.

McGowen Precision Barrels

After checking in to these guys I really think their the real deal and might just have to try them out.They seem alot better than shaw. I really like their prices and the groups I saw in their trophy room. Thanks for info.

I've got one of their stainless barrels with helical fluting on a Savage .30-06. It looks very well done; I'll report on the firing characteristics once I finish building it.

I guess I can add my limited experience with Shaw barrels. I just had a 1903a3 rebarreled with a Shaw #3 contour and 24" length. So far the gun is shooting about .75" groups with about 50 rounds through it. Break in was very abbreviated as I was in a hurry to get it sighted in for hunting season. I expect the groups to get a little better after a few more rounds and at this point the barrel is cleaning easier than my Ruger #1. I realize that there are better barrels out there but if you are on a tight budget they seem to be worth the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.