Sharps rifle

Dead Beat

i have a David Pedersoli sharps rifle 28 in barrel and it is a hoot to shoot its chambered in 45/70 and would like to shoot 45/90 out of it . does anyone know what it would take to make it shoot a 45/90 out of this rifle
thanks JIM

Just a good finish reamer and a gunsmith.

But if you are shooting black powder or triple 7 I
would recomend going to a 45/100 because the
brass & reamer cost about the same as the 45/90
would.

I have a 45/110 but brass is hard to find.

NOTE if your new to black powder cartriges a little
trick to saving your brass from corroding is to carry a
coffee can with soap and water to throw your brass in as
soon as possible.

It starts corroding almost as soon as you shoot.(I learned
the hard way and lost 100 rds of once fired brass).

So now I shoot triple 7 and clean the brass as soon as possible.

Good Luck
J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE that was the answer i was hoping for do you of a smith that can do this for me. i live in southern California and cant seem to find a smith that i can trust out here.

JIM

Sorry

I don't know any smith's in california But you should
be able to find one on this site.

It's straight forward because all you have to do is hand
ream to the head (NOTE do not take any material off the
sholder or you will change the head space).

Log on under GUN SMITH'S and there is a list of smiths
in all of the states(quite a few in california) then
call and visit with some of them until you get comfortable.

And if you can find one close go to his shop and talk
eye ball to eye ball.

Good luck on your search.
J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE ill start looking around for a good smith ill email some of the ones that frequent this site.. i dont plan on shooting BP with this rifle thanks again

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks JE ill start looking around for a good smith ill email some of the ones that frequent this site.. i dont plan on shooting BP with this rifle thanks again

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim

A word of caution:
Going to a 45/90,45/100 or any of the larger cases and using smokeless could be dangerous.

The reason for going to a larger case is to increse
velocity with black powder or a clone(like tripple 7)

The factory 45/70 loads are between 1200ftps&1300ftps
that use smokeless powder for safety in old rifels or replica's.

Only modern rifles like the browning or ruger can use
high pressure loads.

If you dont like black powder use something like tripple
7, My 45/110 pushes a 450gr barnes x to 1900ftps with 95
grs of tripple 7 and does not fowl the barrel.

I have shot up to 620gr cast bullets using tripple 7
and it worked well, best group to date is a 5 shot 1.137 at
100rds and 5 shots at just over 9" at 600rds .

So if you intend to shoot smokeless theres no need
to go any larger than a 45/70.

Pedersoli does not recomend the use of smokeless on any
of there larger(45/90,45/100,45/110 or 45/120s).

So be careful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE ill do some more research on the rifle if i can get better performance out of black powder i ill get into reloading!! if its alright with you i would like to PM you and ask some more specific questions on BP shooting

i need to start reloading any way $ 48 a box for my 300 ultra mag kinda hurts

thanks JIM

Just reamer work, that's all.

I do not know the strength of the Pedersoli reciever, but I do know about the C. Sharps Arms and Shiloh Sharps rifles.

A word on reciever strength, as there is a lot of myth of not shooting smokeless powder and whatnot.

The Shiloh reciever is investment cast just like a Ruger No. 1. The C. Sharps 1874 reciever is machined out of a block or plate of stock, and their 1875 reciever is cast for them by, you guessed it, Ruger.

Both of these companies are located in Big Timber Montana, and I have lived there for 5 years, so it gave me an opportunity to buy the rifles and talk one on one with the owners.

Both C. Sharps and Shiloh assured me that their rifles were in the pressure/strength territory of the Ruger No. 1. They are made of modern steels and have been tested to be safe for smokeless loads. The makers advocate black powder for best performance though. It is a tradition.

Now some might say that the big cased were designed for black powder and that smokeless is not the way to go.

Well think of this. Take a 458 lott case and you pretty much have a dead ringer for the 45-110. What will the 458 lott do? Yep. the 45-110 , or the old 450 Nitro will push the big bullets out with wallop.

I like black powder shooting, but I also know the that my personal Sharps rifles can push out big bullets faster than a 458 winchester if needed. Heck, my 75 sharps is nothing more than a No 1 Ruger with a hammer.

i need to do some research on this pedersoli make the billy dixon sharps the pedersoli is the better of the 2 italian sharps out there

DB

Deadbeat

I'll probly catch he##### for saying this but hear goes.

If you want to shoot smokeless powder in a big bore
then by a 460 weatherby.

If you want to shoot a falling block use powder that
smokes it's a lot more fun.

Why buy a black powder rifle and shoot smokeless powder
in it.

How many people buy a 458 win to shoot black powder in it.

I hope I did'nt offend anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just my opinion Have fun
J E CUSTOM

Nothing wrong with shooting blackpowder, and I really like it myself. But if I am paying over 2 grand for a rifle, I want to know about the strength of my reciever and have the option of shooting black or smokeless. That's all.

Today's falling block rifles are better than ever. They are produced of superior metals and metalurgy, and are tightly fitted from precision machines and even handwork.

A new Shiloh, c.sharps, or Axtell is far more rifle than the originals were just due to material advances and strength.

They are good stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.