setting up redding dies

LEFTYM77

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to set my redding FL sizing die to neck size only. the die set is a standard FL die set,

I am shooting lapua brass out of my 243 so i want to get the most case life possible. I know full length sizing them everytime will reduce this greatly, not to mention the accuracy Icould gain by shooting brass that is fire formed to my chamber not bumped back to "spec" every time

Well, if you're using a FL die, you really want to do a partial full length sizing, which consists of measuring the shoulder of fired brass and screwing in your die untill you are just bumping the shoulder back a thousandth or two. I use a stoney point (hornady lock n' load now) comparator with head and shoulder gauges to measure the length to the shoulder but there are several other gauges out there.

The problem with neck sizing with a FL die is that sometimes the die starts to size the body of the case when you're sizing the neck, this pushes the shoulder forward and then you have chambering problems.

can you buy a neck sizing die only or do I have to buy a full set because I already have the fl and the seating die? I would want a redding

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts