Setting up a T/C Encore 'Yote Gun

beezaur

Hi guys,

I took delivery of a stainless Encore frame today. I have plans to make it my coyote pistol for out to around 500 yards, but I am not sure how to proceed.

The plan is to put a 15" heavy stainless .223 barrel on (1:9?), maybe also a 6mm BR. I want to find someone who can do a custom muzzle for me, a short "bloop tube" so I can use a flip-up scope cap on the muzzle. Any suggestions for a barrel source?

The trigger is kind of . . . well, an Encore trigger I guess. I've done trigger work before on other guns. I was thinking of getting a Bellm spring kit and seeing what will result.

The grip is kind of big for me, or my trigger finger is a little short, or both :) Are there good aftermarket grips that correct that? Laminate is good. Camo laminate is better. I will need a forend too; both with sling studs.

I have some scopes and rings, but need a base. Do you guys think this kind of deal warrants a sloping base?

Scott

If you use the Burris rings (plastic inserts) it will likely give you all the adjustment you need for LR.
Bellm products have worked great for me.

As far as calibers/bullet choices for yotes I surely defer to Steve (sscoyote). He sould help you as he has taken a number of yotes with SP's through the years.

MGM has consistently produced good barrels for TC's and has been reasonable in their time frame on orders. I think they typically use Shilen.

I got my first coyote with a Contender in 6tcu, kinda like a 223 on steroids. I'm now using a Savage Striker in 22-250 that I rebarreled with a McGowen barrel with a faster twist.
The Bellem springs will help a lot!
I would check out Jim at INDEX
Great guy to do business with and should be able to help you out with one that fits better.

Mike

Mike's selection of a faster-twist 22 centerfire is a good idea. This will allow u to shoot the higher BC 68-75 gr. bullets that should perform better at the longer ranges. I would also suggest the bigger 6mm cartridges if u're trying to get to 500 consistently. The 87 V-Max, and bigger will get u there. I don't know how big a cartridge since i don't shoot TC's. Somebody else might help there. I rmember the 6mm Super Bower comes to mind.?

Thanks, guys.

I am thinking 6mm BR is about the biggest I want to do right off the bat.

I was thinking some about shooting this thing in the field. It will be hard to get a shot from a low position, so I was thinking about shooting from a tripod. The idea would be to fix a flat plate to the top of a camera tripod, and use a wide, flat-bottomed forend.

Has anyone shot froma setup like that? How do you guys handle shooting over grass?

Scott

I use an extremely small folding, lightweight aluminum mini-table I found at wal-mart. Then I shoot off of a bi-pod and mini-field bag (filled with corn-cob media - underneath the grip).

I spray painted the alum table flat black and have used it for deer.

You mean something like this, it is adjustable from sitting on the ground to using a folding chair and is rock steady.
nmhunter
DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

I hunt coyotes with the SPs most of the winter months. Here is the system i use--

I call, spot and stalk, and walk many miles in the country i hunt so i need something extremely portable. Typically i just use a tall Harris bipod and improvise a rear rest with my pack for prone position long-range. All of my shooting when calling is from the Harris at an extended position sitting. But to shoot these SPs accurately from the sit u need a good backrest. Plus u have to be able to take it with u in the field. The best i've ever found is a soft-sided stadium seat that u can find at the K/Wal-Marts. They often carry a "heated seat", which is just a little thicker closed-cell foam in the butt part. The 1st thing i do is shorten the female part of the side straps, so it's attached as close to the seat itself as possible (the seat doesn't work well without this little customizing). This way it gives me excellent back support. The next thing i do is get a burlap bag and cut holes in it for all the attachments, then sew it back up once the seat is inserted in it--usually fits perfectly. This helps with camo, IMO. Now attach an aditional snap at the ends of the side straps so it can be carried around your waist hands-free. Now practice the system from the sitting position with pistol grip behind your bent knees forced against each other using the tall Harris at the extended position. This is an extremely steady position to shoot from, believe me, u'll be surpirsed what can be done from this position.

I killed this coyote using that system--
About Ballistics

Another time i shot at a dirt clod on the side of a stream bank @ 1000 yds. and missed left 4" using the same gun noted in the reference above.

Steve sold me on the stadium seat setup, really works well. I'm on my second one, wore out the first even after doing some repair work on it.
You can also use a sling and push it out to help steady it and reduce some recoil.
I just use shooting sticks.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts