Setting Headspace for 260 Rem. AI

TORCHRIDER

Can I set the headspace on a Savage action and a 260AI barrel using a standard 260REM, 7mm-08, 243, etc. GO Gauge? The datum line should be the same right? If not, does anyone make an AI version of a Go Gauge?

Thanks,

Dave

NO,

PTG makes a gauge for AI, it's aprox .003-.004" shorter than the go gauge for a standard 260.

I would do this; start with new brass from the same lot, Run it all thru your 260 or 260 ai die to round out the necks, headspace the barrel with the brass so that when you close the bolt (with FP removed) you feel a slight resistance, this is called a crush fit and insures that when fireforming you form the shoulder with-out stretching the web.

If all that sounds greek to you, your probably not ready for an AI.

Actually you can use a standard 260 go gauge but you use the go gauge as a no go gauge and that gives you the .004" you need to push back against neck/shoulder junction.

How exactly is he to determine what .004 under go is?

The bolt won't close on the go. so at what point of screwing the barrel into the reciever does he determine he is .004" under the go?

Best to give your brass a slight crush fit.

He is to snug the barrel down on the go gauge until it has heavy drag and almost won't let the bolt close, there is normally only .003-.004" difference between a go and no go, I have done this, I know it works!

sorry Backwoods I can see that your much more knowledgable than me when it comes to the PROPER way to headspace a barrel and get the desired results,

Hey coyboy, if you wasn't such a wise *** you would actually read what I said and realize that it gives you the same "crush fit" that you speak of, only using a gauge and not a piece of brass, it can be done with any of the ackley cartridges that have not been modified from the original PO Ackley design.

BW what is the Rockwell hardness of a gauge? the barrel steel?

closing a bolt on a standard gauge with "heavy drag" is not going to do the shoulder of your chamber anything good.

Your giving ****** advice! but hey if it works in the world you live in go for it!

Guys I appreciate the info. I am looking for an actual 260 AI Go Gauge to use. They are around, just backordered at the moment. In the event I dont find one soon, I will use the brass crush fit method recommended.

Thanks,

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.