Serria Matchking

thumbs

I was just wondering how the 69 grain .22 Matchking is for prairie dog hunting and maybe some hog hunting. Anyone try these one either one?

thanks

Thanks just bought a bunch to try the accuracy in my rifles. They sure shoot straight. I was wondering about the expansion on the little critters.

I shot the 52 gr SMK in .223 on my first Prairie Dog shoot and was disappointed with the results. Some penciled through with no expansion, especially at 300 yards and more.

I've shot one hog in the states and 3 wart hogs in Africa with .30 caliber rifles. Given those experience I personally would not shoot a hog with a .223 SMK. There are just way too many better bullets available, especially if I am paying for a hunt.

Good Luck

Jerry

I used the 95 gr SMK in my 243 for coyotes for one season. They shot like lasers but where completely unpredictable. From ranges from 20 yrds to 600 yrds. Never got the same impact or penetration. Some would pencil through and some would explode on contact. Never lost a coyote but did have to trail some. I would not use them on hogs. Especially if they are running shots where bullet placement may not be exact. I have not tried the TMK which may offer more reliable expansion and penetration.

.224" 69 SMK @ 3033fps

Entrance

Exit

We have used them on mule deer doe with the same results. And I have killed a bunch of coyotes and jackrabbits with them. They are not as explosive as a varmint bullet, but nothing that I put the bullet in the right place walked away.

I shot the 52 gr SMK in .223 on my first Prairie Dog shoot and was disappointed with the results. Some penciled through with no expansion, especially at 300 yards and more.

I've shot one hog in the states and 3 wart hogs in Africa with .30 caliber rifles. Given those experience I personally would not shoot a hog with a .223 SMK. There are just way too many better bullets available, especially if I am paying for a hunt.

Good Luck

Jerry
223 is to slow. U got to get them mov

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.