Seriously strugglin' with dogs!!

codogbuster

Hello fellow coyote busters, I'm new to the sight but so far I am impressed with the knowledge. Over here in Central Oregon I am seriously struggling with getting dogs to come in lately! Need some input for the High Desert!! I am well camouflaged using the same tactics that worked wanders in years passed, but now nothing..oh let me rephrase that. A few weeks ago, I seen two dogs they came busting out of a canyon 300-400 yds out, dead run away from me. I swapped the FX3 to a pup in distress, and then the afterburners came on like a rocket....away from me!!

I'm a little frustrated. I'm not always able to get on this sight so if you have some helpful tips feel free to send them to my email [email protected]

Thanks, codogbuster

Last edited:
Loose the FoxPro and pick up some hand calls, the dogs are wising up to the electronic bag of tricks all over the place. Change tactics. Too many people playing the same sounds over and over again. Seriously, my hand calls are outdoing my CS-24 four-to-one or better since last season. I've spooked a few this year too with pup in distress, mainly pups. Good luck.

Hello fellow coyote busters, I'm new to the sight but so far I am impressed with the knowledge. Over here in Central Oregon I am seriously struggling with getting dogs to come in lately! Need some input for the High Desert!! I am well camouflaged using the same tactics that worked wanders in years passed, but now nothing..oh let me rephrase that. A few weeks ago, I seen two dogs they came busting out of a canyon 300-400 yds out, dead run away from me. I swapped the FX3 to a pup in distress, and then the afterburners came on like a rocket....away from me!!

I'm a little frustrated. I'm not always able to get on this sight so if you have some helpful tips feel free to send them to my email [email protected]

Thanks, codogbuster

I've had WAY better luck with mouth calls vs electronic call over the years. There are alot more educated dogs out there these days with all the interest in coyote calling and all of the videos that "make it look soo easy".

There were no videos when I started calling coyotes, had to learn the hard way. Took me alot of trial and error. Most of the people putting out these videos took years to make them (at least before they went "full time"), and most of them learned the hard way too, which is why they make it look so easy.

I am guessing that the dogs you saw running away had either recently been called in and shot at, or they knew you were there before you started calling.
Only way to say for sure.....is if you had them spotted and watching them before you began calling......which is one of the most educational things you can do by the way.

Keep your chin up, and good luck!

More than likely they have heard those tunes before. As suggested above get some quality hand calls I prefer open reed but closed will do the job to. It just gives a person more variety and no 1 person makes the same sounds even with the same calls.
I have several that go with me and my CS-24 caller. I prefer the Ruffi Dawg calls made by Les Johnson just cause my calling success increased 25% using them over any others. Now thats just my results and in this field of hunting results will vary.

Frank

Getting into calling position without being detected is just as important as camo.

A resting coyote will be on the downwind side of a hill looking downwind and sniffing upwind. Use this to your advantage.

Be very careful as you crest a ridge, try to hit a low spot on a ridge to get to your calling position or cross a ridge and then work your way up or down the ridge below the skyline.

Try calling less and use more obscure sounds.

Get further from the beaten path to find less educated critters.

Know where your scent cone is and use it to your advantage, the dog will end up in it if you don't shoot it first.

It will get better as it gets colder. Dogs get educated by lots of deer elk and antelope hunters but with the season's over and survival becoming their biggest concern they will become more callable.

Really all you have to do is get to your stand without them seeing, smelling, or hearing you. . . give them a sound that they can't refuse. . . see them before they see or hear you while you move your gun into position. . .and shoot them before they hit your scent cone:)

There is really nothing to it. . . . . :D

Well other than the fact that even when you get all of that perfect, sometimes the coyote doesn't play along.

One of the big name speakers at the World Predator Expo said the choice of call or sound is MUCH less important than knowing which tree to set up next to.

That ties in with DT7's comments.

sometimes the dogs just dont want to play. It wouldnt be fun if you got one EVERY time you went out. This weekend I sat down and hit the cottontail call one time and before I could put it down a big boy came running right at me. It was 5:45 in the morning and i could barely see the dark blob running at me in my scope. luckly it had been snowing for 3 days here in virginia and everything was white in the mountains... except for that yote! I put the blob in the scope, saw his little ears pop up and I blasted him and he never took a step. Just get out there and learn for yourself what they like and what they dont. Luck has something to do with it sometimes. The more you go, the more you learn. Goodluck buddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts