Separated Case Removal Tool

dwm

Hey, where can I buy a tool to remove cases that are stuck in the chamber when the heads come off?

What is the best tool and where can I buy one?

It has not happened yet, but I want to be prepared.

Doug

I dont know of a tool, but a quick and dirty way is use a bore brush of the right size--stick it in till its half way past the chambe and reverse it--this should let you pull out the top half of the case.

Also i have seen cerrosafe used to grab onto the top half of the case--then nock it out and the case comes with it.

JB

dwm
The ECHO Broken Shell Extractors are available from: W.J. Riebe Co.
3434 Tucker Rd.
Boise, Idaho 83703

They are the old expanding collet design. If you are caught without one, twist a springy tree branch and shove it in and withdraw--it might or might not work.

--Dan

We have removed stuck cases by applying accuraglas to neck end of compatible case and inserting into the stuck case in chamber
allow to dry and then pull both out with bolt.We found it is best to discard stressed brass to start with and the problem will be gone.

I use a smaller case with loctite 648 , LOCTITE enjoy copper contact and cure in quick time after you get a need bottom and that easy to push the broken case with a rod

Good shoting

DAN TEC

Thanks guys, I was out at the range last weekend shooting the 25-06 and several of the fired cases came out just about split. Wanted to be prepared just in case ....

End of life for them, tossed 'em all and am busy neck turning some more.

Doug

Doug if you use the glue method make sure none gets into the gun itself. The loctite Dantec mentioned should probably be used sparingly!!!!

If you can find a rat tailed file the right size,you can stick it inside the case,twist,lock it in the case and tap it out with a rod. SIZE MATTERS- scratching the throat is not a good thing.

Super Glue. Let dry 5 minutes and tap out.

If you have the availability, shape (lathe turn, before the need) a wooden dowel. Insert with wet glue, let dry, and tap or pull out. This is for a real over pressure load.

If it's just a case fatigue separation, as you described, then a tight fitting/oversize bore brush will work to dislodge the case.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: djd ]

Oh....and whether it's glue or Locktite, whatever "after effects" may be easily removed from a steel chamber.

Unlike, the effects of a rat-tail file.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: djd ]

I use a .45 bore brush. Push it in, pull it out and go back to shooting. Takes longer to screw the brush on the rod, than it does to get the case out.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts