Sennybridge F range visit

Gerald89

Well took my AW and its friends to Sennybridge range to see what we could do!

The targets are army issue etr radio controlled knock down targets.

The distances were up to about 1400mtrs which led me to my first problem!

The LRF 1200 would not range past the 600mtr target and was generally struggling compared to what it has managed in the past (weather very sunny).

Still the 6mm 90gr lap scenars @ 3196fps were doing the trick even at a guesstimated target of 750mtrs.

Then I decided to try for a long shot no range reading but a rumoured 1000mtrs.

Dialled it in a let one go....... nothing not even dust or mud.
The grass just hid any sign of impact.So no range and no visible feed back I might as well have gone home but instead I tried to barrage fire at it 900 ,950 ,1000 ,1050

Still no feed back ,my spotter or I could not see a thing.

The man next to me was shooting a .308 with 190gr bullets and could not connect either so he switched to tracers.

We watched the tracers coming in at the target at a serious angle and he zeroed in on it eventually (didn't really help because he only had drop charts for the 190's).

The range now had a series of tracer fires, very good for wind but the laser range finders were beaten.

I had by now decided to cheat so I went to visit some shooters that had hit the target.I came back with a confirmed range of 920mtrs.

This was dialled in and the first round was on target but left a meter giving a puff of dust half a mil into the wind and down it went on the very next shot!

I have looked at my data since and the 20mtr error from my closest guess gave me a about an 18" error on elevation but that was enough at that distance to miss.

So what could you do in such a situation? If the wind had been up oh dear!

Oh and we wont talk about when I got carried away with my 920mtr success and started popping at the 1300mtr target.

Jeza

[ QUOTE ]

This was dialled in and the first round was on target but left a meter giving a puff of dust half a MIL into the wind and down it went on the very next shot!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are using a mil dot scope, did you try to range the target with the scope? All you need to know is the size of the target and you can get to within a few meters by doing the math.

Jeza,

If you are interested there are some sniper comps here (CZ) - no sighters, no spotted shots - interesting targets etc. The last one nine countries participated. Distances were only out to 500m (20m - 500m).

Some comps I can invite people to, some not. If it can be arranged for next year ( 2 day comp, accomodation laid on etc and cheap beer). Thought is to pu up a UK team - see who wants to have a go ( GB member here) nearer the time, a good chance for people to meet each other and have a social and shoot.

Only a thought,

David

Jeza

great post, I am off to otterburn next month for a Deer Society comp, at the end of the main shoot, for a bit of fun they set up the SAPU targets, last year was out to 800 meters in high wind. My Swaro Laser guides ranged perfectly though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DS, if the comp is open to civilians, I am sure there are some UK lads here who would be interested (myself included)

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please can you send me your email addy (anyone else who`s interested also). Send to: [email protected]

Appologies to Jeza for going off topic.

David.

Jeza
Pleased to read you had a good day out.As mentioned get into Mil ranging,with a little practice you will soon get proficient in the Art.I would surgest cheating on the maths bit buy a Mildot Master.This will give your ranges in Mils and MOA. p.s get your spotter to lay about a yard behind your shooting shoulder,should help in calling your shots.

Yes mil dots I should have tried them , had the s&b distance chart on me printed with my drop charts!

I had been put off them by someone I spoke to a while back.
He said it was difficult to range by them at that distance due to errors such as follows:-

-The angle between you and the target, it is not necessarily facing directly at you either left right or up down angles will exist
making the target appear a different size?

-The base of the target is not exposed due to grass or lay of land again hard to measure accurately.

-Error reading in mil dots.

I can not really comment on this yet but I will see how well they work for me next time I get a chance!

David yes I may well be interested in that, will send an E-mail.

Thanks All

Jeza

Andy,

I was looking at the Swaro Laser guides very closely!

But I was thinking to my self my LRF 1200 has in the right conditions managed 900 and a bit metres which is OK for most stuff.

If I bought a Swaro it probably would not do 1400mtrs in adverse weather etc so would not be much further forward (not that I can shoot that far).

So what I did was find a wild for £176-00 on E-bay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If it ever makes the atlantic and works it should do the trick (max range 20,000 mtrs smoke or rain included)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.