Sendero Vs. Steyr pro hunter

bobcat trapper

I've been doing some researching and have my next gun down between these two any opinions on either on of them would be much appreciated. I am looking to get it in a 300 win mag.

I've got 2 Prohunters, .308 & .243. They are both great rifles and are really accurate for a stock rifle, both are MOA out to 200 yds which is as far as I can shoot around here. I would imagine the Sendero might be a better long range rifle, but it weighs a lot more and that may not be what you are looking for. Prohunters are really nice but they have gotten expensive due to the weak dollar. It just depends on what kind of hunting you want to do as to which rifle (weight) you would want.

I don't know much about the Pro-Hunters but if a Sendero doesn't shoot well you have a great action and stock to build another rifle on and the number of widgits for a model 700 seem to be endless.

BT,
Both are excellent rifles. I have owned several Sendero's and can vouch for them. I currently have a 700P(7RM) and Sendero SF(.25-06). Both will shoot under 1/2". I have owned Sendero's in 7RM and .300WM. I have also owned three of the 700 VS's (basically short action "Sendero's"). Two in .22-250 and one in .243. All five of these were tackdrivers (sub 1/2") with tailored handloads.
Have never owned a Steyr but know of a couple of buddies who did and spoke highly of them. One buddy owned a gun shop and pushed them hard - for awhile. Last time I spoke with him he was shooting local competition with a 700 VS in .308! The other bud had a Pro Hunter in .25-06, spoke highly of it but traded it off. I think he wishes he had it back though.
My biased opinion, Sendero. JohnnyK.

great presicion on both

quality award goes to Steyr, engineering award goes to remmy.

I dont like the Steyr magazines, built of plastic and if they fall to the ground full of ammo, they will be ruined for sure. and are very pricey...

at the moment I own a ssg69 P1 match and the stock was broken n half.

aftermarket remington 700 parts are everywhere and its a +1!!

I would go with the sendero. or variants of the rem 700 like the LTR....if you are worried by the weight.

JOE

Go with the Remington

Go with the Remington. I have two Steyr Foresters and a Luxus. Great rifles but not necessary. Product support is next to nothing. Remington there is a jillion after market stuff. You can get parts today............after market triggers..........etc. Also they will shoot as well as a Steyr.

I've been doing some researching and have my next gun down between these two any opinions on either on of them would be much appreciated. I am looking to get it in a 300 win mag.

I love M700s. I'm a confirmed Remington guy. However, I also love Steyrs. They aren't as pretty as some, but in a sort of a loveably ugly way, they're neat looking. And, without a doubt, they shoot! Right out of the box they shoot. I had a Pro Hunter in 7mmRM. I had loaded up several test loads in a box of 20. I had 10 rounds of mixed loads of 150s and 160s with 3 different powders. I'd decided which to load and needed the brass. I fired the 10 shots in to one groupl of under an inch at 100 yards. That gun shot every bullet and powder combo I ever put through it in to an inch or less, and usually in one hole. I can't recall ever seeing a Steyr that wouldn't do close to the same thing.

I have a Steyr pro-hunter in `260rem. 120gn Sierra`s, 47gns RL19. spot on and the standard trigger set at 1 and 3/4 lb. no need for a timney etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.