Sendero value question

rcol317

I'm looking for a little advise from those with experience. I just was lucky to purchase a 300 Rum Sendero. It's an early 2000 model that was purchased, new HS Precision stock put on by a good smith that pillar bedded with complete glass action, adjusted the trigger. It's been sitting in a gun safe 10 years and was never shot except to zero. I have a great custom RUM but don't want to shoot it out so I bought the Sendero for a shooter. I was going to put a brake on it because it kicks the snot out of me but I was told that if I put a brake on it it becomes worthless. My questions are 1. does a brake kill the value? 2. if I put a brake on it what brake is the best for this big cannon? Darrel Holland put the brake on my other Rum and while it works well it looks like an ugly wart in the end of the barrel. Any advise would-be appreciated. I've only shot 10 rounds through it so far and the third load shot 4 rounds .314inches @ 100 yards.

I was going to put a brake on it because it kicks the snot out of me but I was told that if I put a brake on it it becomes worthless. My questions are 1. does a brake kill the value?

Who told you that? And do they own the rifle, or do you? :rolleyes:

It's a tool, plain and simple. It's yours to use and modify as you wish. If you bought it for collector value, which you didn't, then I'd say stick it back in the safe and buy something else. However, since you purchased it to use then use it as you see fit. It's worthless to you if you don't. They made thousands of these, and it's not like we're talking about something with the value of a fancy Purdey or Perazzi shotgun. Heck, even those get modified by their owners.

The choice of brake is yours. Some look nicer than others, some perform better than others. I think that the Holland looks a lot better than many of them. But, some can be made to approximate the same diameter as your barrel if that looks nice to you. Find one of those and have your gunsmith install it, then go shoot.

Great point Doc, It's definitely not a collector! It is a shooter, I'll be looking for a brake, leaning toward Williams Gun site brake that's contoured to the barrel. Thanks

Great point Doc, It's definitely not a collector! It is a shooter, I'll be looking for a brake, leaning toward Williams Gun site brake that's contoured to the barrel. Thanks

One point - I would verify the style of brake.

The Williams brake, at least the one they've usually offered, has holes in the bottom. The first time you shoot prone or off a bipod on the ground you'll see why your Holland brake is closed on the bottom. Big poof of dust and dirt!

I would look at one that is closed on the bottom yet is still barrel diameter. Their website doesn't clearly show what their current style of brake may be, I'm just familiar with the one they sold for years.

No it definitely won't hurt it's value, just have a cap made at the same time.

Take a look at The Snowy Mountain Rifles Muzzle brakes. Of all the different types I've shot it's the best overall that I have seen.

a RUM without a brake is worthless.
My 300 rum in lh bdl is just fine at 9# scoped without a brake (so is my 7rum lss lh), but I can stay sub moa with a 8# 375 so I'm probably not the best judge for recoil affecting the shooter. btw, hard rubber pads on both rums...:D

IMO a good recoil pad is going to get you quite a ways and should be installed before the brake to ascertain if the brake is really needed. If you do need a brake, go for it as others have said; who likes to shoot a rifle you aren't comfortable with??

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to ship her to Snowy Mountain and have them put their brake on. I don't do well with recoil and that will help me keep it on line when shooting. I was told they will shoot it after install to verify accuracy. Guy's I appreciate all the help. Good shooting Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.