Sendero in 300 Rum or 7MM RUM ????

Moman

I am thinking about buying a Sendero in either 300 RUM or 7MM Rum and need some input. All of my hunting rifles are in the 6.5 lb range and would like something a little more substantial to shoot longer ranges. Would one of these be a good choice? This would hopefully be used for long range shooting and hunting for Deer and Elk sized game. I would also like something that would make a good platform in a few years to grow into something along the lines of the 338 Edge.

Either one would be an excellent choice. Most are very accurate out of the box. Bullet selection is great for both. They are both big enough for about anything you would want to hunt. They both have the same bolt head so you will have an excellent donor action and stock for an Edge. I have a 300RUM, but would also own a 7RUM any day. I guess it comes down to your personal preference.

Do it, and you won't be sorry. The Sendero's are shooters - plain and simple. A little heavy, but for an out of the box rifle they're about as good as it gets. My personal preference is the 300 RUM, but like cinch said, either one is an excellent choice.

I understand that the sendero's are shooters. I own both the 300 and 7 rum but in BDL and LSS config. I think the 300 is a little more versatile but the 7 is easier to shoot from "all" field positions for me. Long range guys like to use muzzle brakes. For every day hunting I don't care for brakes as I don't like to wear ear prot. while stalking around. With the sendero the added weight should make that a moot point as recoil will be manageable. They both shoot fast and hit hard. The 300 seems to hit harder. I think picking out a well put together sendero and fitting it with a proper good scope will be more important that your choice of the 7 or 300. Hope the one you end up with is a real good shooter.

I recently picked up a Sendero II in 7 RUM mainly for Pronghorn hunting. Shots can be long and both my wife and I were having issues with our 7 Rem Mag's past 300 yards. This was mainly a confidence and scope selection issue, because the 7 Rem Mag has enough juice to take a Pronghorn well past 400 yards. I took a nice Pronghorn last year at 500 + yards with our 7 RUM. I can recommend it for Deer/Antelope sized game, but the 300 RUM is probably a better choice if you plan to hunt Elk or Moose at longer ranges. I am very new at long range hunting so my experience with the 7 RUM is limited, but I would take a shot at an Elk or Moose at ranges less than 300 yards if I had a sturdy bullet over 160 grains with the 7 RUM, but that is just me. I use a 340 Weatherby for Elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.