Sendero II, is it an improvement ???

philny1

Sendero II, is it an improvement over the original model. If so in what way. I was never a big fan, but starting to have a change of mind especially after reading this forum. Price not considered, which one would you choose.

I have 3 of the originals, I love them !! IMHO best factory rifle you can buy for accuracy. Great stocks, good barrels, easy to tune a little and have a Sweetheart of a rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't have a II, yet, but might have to !!

Sendero man,
I had one in my hand...YUC! its light big narley varmit grip ....I would keep the ones you have!

Bearless your Lucky! I came within a $100 of owning your 270AM and the offer I gave is what you paid! but Tim was holding tight to it then....But for the new Sendero, I like the old alot better than the new.

I bought a used 270 win original sendero used this winter. It is imaculate probably less than a box put through it. It was CM barrel and the chain sporting goods store had $479 on it. I like the stock more than the new one. That fat grip just dosen't feel right. After 10 round out of the 270 I had 3 shot groups that measured 1.10, .650, .235 @ 100 yards. With 3 different loads, yea it's a good one.
If the original owner knew it shot so well I'm sure he would have kept her.

I have a .264WM Sendero-II SF, and it's the most accurate out of the box, factory rifle I have ever bought (not counting 40XB's, etc).

I bought it because two friends bought them and are shooting 1,000yd "F" class with them, OUT OF THE BOX!!

I have never handled a I, but both my Dad and I have IIs and love them. Mine is a 7mm RM and Dad's a 6.5 WM. Both are shooting 1/2 MOA with little work. Both have been bedded and added Kiplinger trigger, that's it.

I would have to say, however, that the palm swell is not the greatest fit.

I've got a VSSF II (the short action Sendaro). I didn't like the new grip much until the first time I pulled the trigger. The palm swells place your hand in the perfect position for a smooth trigger pull. My gun is in 204 and there is no way you need a gun that heavy for the 204 but man is it fun to watch stuff blow up through the scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I own the original SF Sendero in 300 RUM. This gun is an easy 1000 yard rifle, and has been very precision accurate with most hand loads I have tried. I love the stock, sort of a combination between a hunting stock and varmint - best of both worlds.

I was going to buy the new HS SF II, but after handling it, decided what I already had was by far the nicer rifle, and I value it even more now that it has changed to the SFII (for the worse IMO).

Bearless,
I don't like the grip on the sf2 stock. Personal thing I suppose, but a lot of other folks report the same thing. The higher gloss action and the black and gloss barrel is eye catching. But, I think overall the first Senderos were nicer. Nicer grip, and not so flashy looking.

That said, they're both great rifles.

I think it is. Here is a shot of a buddy lining his up on a 745 yard gong.
lockhart0021az6.jpg

This one is in 300RUM and is shooting 200grain Accubonds around 3150fps. I didn't like the palm feel either at first but after spending some time with it on the bench it feels a lot better.

We have done a few mods to personalize it and make it shoot better, we bedded the action and lug nice and tight, installed a Jewel trigger set pretty light, a Holland QD brake installed by Darrel Holland himself. I polished the brake with 400 grit to match the finish on the barrel. Holland cut the length of pull to fit my buddy better and installed a better recoil pad. It has a NightForce 20MOA rail on it with Burris Signature Zee rings on it. He is saving up for a Night Force scope to replace the Nikon heavy reticle special he has on it now.

It's one nice piece now. Pretty much equal to my Accumarks now.

The only other Sendero I ever messed with was a 25-06. It was one of the first ones that came in all matte black. I must have shot 200 handloads through it looking for an accurate load. I never could get it under 3" at 100 yards. Remington said it was within spec so it was sold. This new SFII shoots 1/2" so far.

That rifle looks familiar! Mine has the defensive edge brake. They sure are great looking. My experience with the grip was the other way around. I didn't notice anything wrong with it in the store. But when I started shooting...Yuk. Looking at your picture (and having one), I'm betting my lunch money his pinky is under the grip. Leaving only two fingers to hold a grip that doesn't really fit anything.

OK, some folks like it. I can't see how. I ordered a replacement stock for mine...Too bad really. It's a fine rifle. Equal to Accumarks now? Hah! It started better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.