sendero 300winmag

VPinNY

good for beginers or should i suck it up go for a custom job

how much more $$ am i looking for a custom gun, from scratch

anyone have any info on HS pro series 2000's

Let me second vinny's post. I am strongly considering that very same rifle/caliber combo, in the non-fluted barrel version (I am on a pretty limited budget). I have seen a few comments on various forums about the quality of the Remington factory products these days, so I wonder about the Sendero. Anyone have any experience with quality issues for those rifles recently? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you check way back in the archived material you will find pretty good reviews of the HS-2000 rifle - pros and cons.

Vinny

I have a sendero 300 win mag. Mine shoots lights out for a factory gun but i have put in enormous shooting time and load prep for it.I guess between custom and factory you have to ask yourself what you want to do with it.I wouldn't shoot anything beyond 1000 yards with mine but when i have it customized i will reconsider it.I have never had a bad remington but when you want to shoot long range you have to get the most accurate gun for the job and that's why i am going custom. hope this helps and if you need some load advice for it i can give you what i am using

shoot straight!

Most factory LR rifles cost from $500 to $1000 or so, Savage vs Weatherby might be the range. Unfortunately we cannot depend on the factories putting out the absolute best designed rifles with the best available materials - dollars dictates design, manufacturing techniques, assembly and materials used. Buying a factory firearm is a crapshoot, you might get lucky and get a tackdriver but there are odds against it. If you are handy you can usually improve the base accuracy significantly with time and patience.

Sako and Tikka rifles are frequently superb out of the box performers, I would give them some consideration as well as a Winchester Stealth or Coyote in .308 Win. For even less money you could consider a Savage tactical or LR model, but you would probably require an aftermarket trigger and stock to make it perform to its potential.

Buying a good LR factory rifle, like a Sendero, Stealth or others can be a wise move if you are just getting into LR, your personal ability might need a lot of honing and a factory LR can be a good learning platform. Many shooters on this forum suggest getting into this game with a good .308 Win., learn the basics and then go from there into the big boomers. Many shooters have also learned the hard way that you should spend about an equal amount on optics as you did for the rifle (I learned that up from this forum).

Custom built rifles should be significantly better in many ways - not just accuracy. The magic that is performed by a good gunsmith is not something picked up from a book or just because you know how to run a lathe and mill.

Custom built LR rifles are better, and they should be because you are looking at from $1500 to the sky's the limit. Get someone like George Gardner to build a LR rifle and you are looking at $2500-$3000 and the rifle is worth every penny. He will accurize old Betsy for much less but we are talking custom here. These guys on this forum can recommend some excellent smiths, depending on what you want, where you live and how much money you can spend.

I am in no way a record holding LR shooter, But I have a Sendero SF in 7mm mag which will shoot Federal factory 150GR Nosler BT's into less than 1/2MOA at 100yds. I also have the VSSF in 220 swift which will approach closer to 1/3" and better with Hornady factory ammo. I suggest learning on the sendero, and then decide if you wish to go custom. I love mine, and will keep them until the barrels are gone. Just my .02

Sendero in 300 Win Mag is great to start out. About $650-700 for the gun. Key is to lap lugs, true bolt face and receiver and skim bed the magnums with the alum bedding block ($250). You can always work up from there but consider a good used 1000 yard light gun already built up. Saves $ in long run.

Consider this one at Benchrestcentral.com classifieds. There is a 300 Win Mag light gun owned by Danny Brooks IBS 1000 shooter of year 1999-2000. This gun still shoots very good (6" or less at 1000) but he is now using custom actions and 7mm Rem Mag, this one is steel sleeved 700. Think his price is $1250. You can also go to VA 1000 BR club website and get his phone number off the Factory Class info bulletin. This is a great gun for the money. Have seen it shoot and been beaten by it repeatedly.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I have questions for Bountyhunter or some other Sendero experts. I am having trouble getting mine to shoot less than 2 MOA. Barrel is not touching anything and scope is not the problem. Have around 2 lb trigger and made sure not to overtighten the main lug bolts. I am shooting on a good rest under good conditions and have 1/2 Moa .22 mag so I don't think it is me?? Just curious on what you all think. Haven't heard too many complaints about Senderos.

Try different bullets and powder combos.

For example, my 300 WSM coyote would not put a 190 JLK under 1.5 inches at 100 with any powder, primer, seating depth etc. Finally got a box of Berger 190s and suddenly I was sub .5 on just about any load.

Now for your sendaro, could be many things. Assume the bore is clean of copper?

Are the cases coming out straight out of the chamber? Possible off center chamber

Have a gunsmith check the crown. Little ding equals big groups.

Skim bed it and check the action screws. What do you mean not overtightened?

How do you know the scope is not the problem? Have you switched scopes?

try the Tubbs Fire lapping kit ($29) think it is zidecker.com of something like that has it.

Check case expansion at base of web and shoulder movement forward from virgin case to fired case. Could signal oversize chamber or other problems.

Sounds like if the bedding is good, screws tightened right, scope is good, then it has to be chamber or barrel. Gunsmith time to check it out or call Remington and see what they say. they might want it back to check it out.

BH

Don't think I can add more to what's already been said other than my experience with the Remington 700 Sendero SSF in 7 RUM. The trigger was absolutely horrible in the factory set poundage. It measured a staggering 8.5 pounds! Got it down to 2 1/2 pounds now. The barrel was touching the stock in one place near the receiver but with a little sanding it worked out. By handloading, I'm shooting 0.4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I think that a Sendero or a Used custom are two great rifles to start out LR hunting.

Thanks Guys. This is just what I needed. This is the second scope with Leupold mounts. Trigger is 2.5lbs and decent. Barrel is totally free floated. The easy stuff has been eliminated, and the spent casings look perfect. Will have to visit a smith or call Remington. Thanks for the tips. I knew you would have some ideas.
smile.gif

Hawken11, I'd have Chris Matthews in North Kansas city check out your Sendero, he bedded my VS and it seems to be shooting better now, his # is 816-358-2653, you didn't mention what you were shooting for a load, did you try 180NBTs on top of a load of RE22, or some 190MKs, boy, If them bullets don't shoot, probably nothing will, Jay

I love getting good replys on a topic like this. Great Bulletin Board. I have been trying factory loaded Hornady Custom loads with the 165 and 180 grain SST bullet. It is a poly tip bullet that should have good expansion. I have had trouble finding factory loads around here that aren't very hard bullets. Seems like everyone here thinks 300s are only for moose and brown bear??

I live in St Charles, but do most of my hunting in North Mo.

I graduated from STevens Point up near Jay's neck of the woods. Head up north every year when the grouse cycle peaks. Just love shootin them little forest chickens.

Have a hunting bud in KC, so i can likely get a trip to the gunsmith mentioned unless someone knows a good one around Stl. There are a bunch of em around, but I don't know any.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.